Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd

Default doorbell transformer

On 02 May 2006 11:50:15 GMT, lid (Calvin
Henry-Cotnam) wrote:

CJT ) said...

FWIW, ours is near the furnace.

Doorbell transformers are designed to attach to a 1/2" knockout hole
on the 120 volt side for installation convenience. Why some choose to
attach it to a box in a weird place is beyond me.

My parents' home (built in 1963) had it attached to the side of the
fuse panel.

When we built our own home a couple of years ago, I located it on
the side of our main electrical panel as well. To take it a step further,
I installed a terminal block just above the panel and both the pushbuttons
and the bell have home runs to that location so not only is the
transformer conveniently located, so are all the connections.

Sounds like a good idea. It'd be easy when you want to make a change,
like adding an extension ringer.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com