Junior Member

Default Window AC unit with cracked freon tube

Hello Everyone;

I was carrying a window air conditioner unit up my stairs and I accidently dropped it and broke a refrigerant copper tube...this is a brand new unit it's only about two years old. I repaired the 1/4" cracked copper tube section; but my question is could I refill it with new refrigerant? I see refill cans on Ebay; but I'm not sure what type to use (R-?) or size can (oz.) to buy. Is there website somewhere that gives instructions on how to do this? Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia

quietman wrote:
Hello Everyone;

I was carrying a window air conditioner unit up my stairs and I
accidently dropped it and broke a refrigerant copper tube...this is a
brand new unit it's only about two years old. I repaired the 1/4"
cracked copper tube section; but my question is could I refill it with
new refrigerant? I see refill cans on Ebay; but I'm not sure what type
to use (R-?) or size can (oz.) to buy. Is there website somewhere that
gives instructions on how to do this? Thanks

Fughedit!

Take it to a pro. The cost of the gages, filling adaptors, vacuum pump
and the refrigerant you'll need to do this job right will exceed the
price of a professional repair and probably even the cost of a brand new
unit.

Plus, you may be violating Federal law messing around with (some kinds)
of refrigerants without being certified to do so.

This is one of those situations where DIY on a "one off" project just
isn't worth it.

HTH,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair
Lena

quietman wrote:
this is a brand new unit it's only about two years old.

How old will it be when it is not considered "brand new"?

I repaired the 1/4" cracked copper tube section;

And you leak tested it to be sure it won't leak freon when you put it
in, right?

but my question is could I refill it with new refrigerant?

As Jeff indicated, you'd be wasting your time. Have you seen the
prices of window air conditioners at Lowes or HD? Do you really think
you could successfully recharge it yourself for much less? Do you
think a pro would do it for less than the cost of a new one? Save
yourself a lot of grief, chalk it up to experience, and buy a new one.

Lena

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joey

quietman wrote:
Hello Everyone;

I was carrying a window air conditioner unit up my stairs and I
accidently dropped it and broke a refrigerant copper tube...this is a
brand new unit it's only about two years old. I repaired the 1/4"
cracked copper tube section; but my question is could I refill it with
new refrigerant? I see refill cans on Ebay; but I'm not sure what type
to use (R-?) or size can (oz.) to buy. Is there website somewhere that
gives instructions on how to do this? Thanks

I agree with the other posters that it would be best to have a pro do
the job.

But, this is what you would do if you had the tools.

1. Make sure the copper line is soldered correctly.
2. If any oil leaked out it must be replaced/injected back into the system.
2.5 If the unit doesn't have a freon fitting then you must buy one and
solder it in place.
3. Vacuum the system down and let it stand an hour to assure there are
no leaks.
4. Check the technical manual to see how many ounces of what type freon
is required.
5. Hook up the pressure guage to the low side and then the freon tank
sitting on a scale that measures pounds/ounces.
6. Inject the correct amount (ounces) of freon into the system.
7. Check the unit for proper cooling.

As you can see this takes more equipment than a new unit costs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

best just to buy a new ac unit, saves money all around.

be more careful the next time

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"quietman" wrote in message

Hello Everyone;

I was carrying a window air conditioner unit up my stairs and I
accidently dropped it and broke a refrigerant copper tube...this is a
brand new unit it's only about two years old. I repaired the 1/4"
cracked copper tube section; but my question is could I refill it with
new refrigerant? I see refill cans on Ebay; but I'm not sure what type
to use (R-?) or size can (oz.) to buy. Is there website somewhere that
gives instructions on how to do this? Thanks

When brazing refrigeration coils you fill them with an inter gas such as
nitrogen to prevent oxidation. Depending on how you did the repair and the
amount of time it was open, the system may be ruined. You also have to draw
a vacuum to remove any moisture that got in.

Best bet is to toss it and buy a new unit. Probably the cheapest way out.
Really.

Posted to alt.home.repair
lp13-30

The replies about the cost of repairing your unit vs a new one are 100%
correct. Most all smaller window a/c units nowadays are throwaways, like
most other small appliances and electronic items. What you could do
though, is get a new unit identical to the old one, and save the old one
for spare parts (fan motor, switch, thermostat etc) if you are inclined
to tinker with things. That is, of course, assuming you were satisfied
with the performance of the broken one. Good luck Larry