Posted to alt.home.repair
Lena

Default Window AC unit with cracked freon tube

quietman wrote:
this is a brand new unit it's only about two years old.

How old will it be when it is not considered "brand new"?

I repaired the 1/4" cracked copper tube section;

And you leak tested it to be sure it won't leak freon when you put it
in, right?

but my question is could I refill it with new refrigerant?

As Jeff indicated, you'd be wasting your time. Have you seen the
prices of window air conditioners at Lowes or HD? Do you really think
you could successfully recharge it yourself for much less? Do you
think a pro would do it for less than the cost of a new one? Save
yourself a lot of grief, chalk it up to experience, and buy a new one.

Lena