Posted to alt.home.repair
Joey

Default Window AC unit with cracked freon tube

quietman wrote:
Hello Everyone;

I was carrying a window air conditioner unit up my stairs and I
accidently dropped it and broke a refrigerant copper tube...this is a
brand new unit it's only about two years old. I repaired the 1/4"
cracked copper tube section; but my question is could I refill it with
new refrigerant? I see refill cans on Ebay; but I'm not sure what type
to use (R-?) or size can (oz.) to buy. Is there website somewhere that
gives instructions on how to do this? Thanks

I agree with the other posters that it would be best to have a pro do
the job.

But, this is what you would do if you had the tools.

1. Make sure the copper line is soldered correctly.
2. If any oil leaked out it must be replaced/injected back into the system.
2.5 If the unit doesn't have a freon fitting then you must buy one and
solder it in place.
3. Vacuum the system down and let it stand an hour to assure there are
no leaks.
4. Check the technical manual to see how many ounces of what type freon
is required.
5. Hook up the pressure guage to the low side and then the freon tank
sitting on a scale that measures pounds/ounces.
6. Inject the correct amount (ounces) of freon into the system.
7. Check the unit for proper cooling.

As you can see this takes more equipment than a new unit costs.