Posted to alt.home.repair
Chas12

Default A/c window unit storage

Anyone know if a window unit can be stored on it's side or end instead of
flat?
Thanks,
Chas

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pop

"Chas12" wrote in message
: Anyone know if a window unit can be stored on it's side or end
instead of
: flat?
: Thanks,
: Chas
:
:
Yes, they can, but ... first they should be allowed to "rest" a
few hours to equalize the pressures, and they should be stored
where they won't be bumped and moved around or vibrated.

If they must be stored unlfat, it's best to store them on their
back, with the outside face down. Be careful nothing is under it
to distort the fins though.

I've done it for years - haven't had a failure yet, period, of
any ac I had with the exception of a 1983 model finally corroded
thru the pipe in the back side when I tried to wash out the
debris with a hose. I don't use a hose full force anymore g.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Chas12" wrote in message
Anyone know if a window unit can be stored on it's side or end instead of
flat?
Thanks,
Chas

Side storage can cause the oil to run out of the compressor. In many cases,
leaving it sit flat will be OK, but it is also possible to do permanent
damage. This is discussed here frequently about moving refrigerators
laying down. Search on the google groups will find results. Same answers
apply.

Posted to alt.home.repair
hvactech2

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 09:54:32 -0500, "Chas12"
wrote:

Anyone know if a window unit can be stored on it's side or end instead of
flat?
Thanks,
Chas

Not recommended as the oil could drain into the cap tube and cause a
restriction.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++
spam protection measure, Please remove the 33 to send e-mail
Posted to alt.home.repair
CBHVAC

"Pop" wrote in message
et...

"Chas12" wrote in message
: Anyone know if a window unit can be stored on it's side or end
instead of
: flat?
: Thanks,
: Chas
:
:
Yes, they can, but ... first they should be allowed to "rest" a
few hours to equalize the pressures, and they should be stored
where they won't be bumped and moved around or vibrated.

First, the pressure is equalized in about 5 minutes on any model.

If the compressor is a piston type, turning it on its side is signing its
death warrant.

If they must be stored unlfat, it's best to store them on their
back, with the outside face down. Be careful nothing is under it
to distort the fins though.

I've done it for years - haven't had a failure yet, period, of
any ac I had with the exception of a 1983 model finally corroded
thru the pipe in the back side when I tried to wash out the
debris with a hose. I don't use a hose full force anymore g.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Chas12

Thanks guys, its in flat position now, and since it's only a few years old,
I'm going to sell it on ebay.
chas