Posted to alt.home.repair
Scut Farkus

Default Window glazing compound vs Silicone URGENT

I started a reglazing job, some spot work, and painting. I already
pulled 2 windows out and painted them. I'm getting the glazing compound
tomorrow. But I can't leave the windows out for a week while the
glazing cures, I don't have the room to store them. And if I do 2 at a
time, it will take months.

My family is pushing me to use white silicone instead since the windows
are painted white, and just put them back in immediately. They said if
the window gets broken, the silicone comes off with the glass and you
just scrape it off the wood. (I know it's not that easy). Getting the
windows out was a pain, so putting them back in, then removing to paint
later is not the ideal thing..

I know Silicone is a bad idea, getting that stuff off is a real pain,
but it's quick fix. What should I do? Thanks..

Posted to alt.home.repair
marson

not sure i understand. glazing compound is white too, isn't it? you
can also buy it in a caulk tube or in cans. silcone CAN'T be painted
so that is another reason it is a bad idea.

Posted to alt.home.repair
homeguy

Glazing compound can be a pain to work with. I vote for white silicone
or caulking that can be painted if that is important.

Posted to alt.home.repair
softballguy

I just re-glazed a couple of old windows and I used glaze in a caulk tube.
It wasn't too bad to work with and I had my windows up the next day after
curing overnight. The hardest part was getting the old glaze off. I'm not
sure if putting them up after curing overnight was the right thing, but
it's been a month and so far so good.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

I started a reglazing job, some spot work, and painting. I already
pulled 2 windows out and painted them. I'm getting the glazing compound
tomorrow. But I can't leave the windows out for a week while the
glazing cures, I don't have the room to store them. And if I do 2 at a
time, it will take months.

Why would you want to do that? The putty/glazing compound
isn't what keeps the glass in, the glazing points do that.
Just stick in the glass, push in the points, putty,
paint, and re-mount the sashes as soon as the paint dries.

My family is pushing me to use white silicone instead since the windows
are painted white, and just put them back in immediately. They said if
the window gets broken, the silicone comes off with the glass and you
just scrape it off the wood. (I know it's not that easy). Getting the
windows out was a pain, so putting them back in, then removing to paint
later is not the ideal thing..

I know Silicone is a bad idea, getting that stuff off is a real pain,
but it's quick fix. What should I do? Thanks..

Use DAP glazing compound. You know you want to.

--Goedjn

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron

Ron wrote:
Scut Farkus wrote:
I started a reglazing job, some spot work, and painting. I already
pulled 2 windows out and painted them. I'm getting the glazing compound
tomorrow. But I can't leave the windows out for a week while the
glazing cures, I don't have the room to store them. And if I do 2 at a
time, it will take months.

My family is pushing me to use white silicone instead since the windows
are painted white, and just put them back in immediately. They said if
the window gets broken, the silicone comes off with the glass and you
just scrape it off the wood. (I know it's not that easy). Getting the
windows out was a pain, so putting them back in, then removing to paint
later is not the ideal thing..
I know Silicone is a bad idea, getting that stuff off is a real pain,
but it's quick fix. What should I do? Thanks..

I'm not sure I'm following you on this.

What is the reason that you don't want to put the windows back in if
you use the glazing compound/putty? If you are worried about them
falling out, you are supposed to use "points" to hold the glass in
while the glazing compound/putty dries.

Points come 2 ways. One is diamond shaped and requires a "point gun" to
install them. The others are pointed on one end and have a lip one the
other end so you can push them in with a flat screwdriver or putty
knife.

See figure #7

(Click on steps and then see figure #7)

http://www.easy2diy.com/cm/easy/diy_...ge_id=35694608

You can also use small nails to hold the glass as long as you are very
careful. It's very easy to break a pane if you get the nail to close to
the glass or slip with the hammer.

BTW, if you want to use silicone it's not that big of a deal if the
window has to be replaced. Removing silicone is a LOT easier than
removing hardened glazing putty!

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to homeguy, Defftonez wrote:
This is not correct, as a glazier and Sika certified installer it's not true
that silicone is paintable ..it's quite the opposite. The are SOME speciallys
sealants that contain sili. But 95% of silicone caulk is not paintable.

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...nt-106953-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/17/2016 1:44 PM, Defftonez wrote:
replying to homeguy, Defftonez wrote:
This is not correct, as a glazier and Sika certified installer it's not
true
that silicone is paintable ..it's quite the opposite. The are SOME
speciallys
sealants that contain sili. But 95% of silicone caulk is not paintable.

I have bad news for you. Just after installing new glass in the windows
in April of 2006 when this question was asked the OP has passed.

He was sitting in the garden enjoying a cold beer when a breeze came up.
The glass was blown out of a poorly glazed window, crashing on his
head. A shard of glass cut his carotid artery.

It was a nice funeral and after the service people were invited for a
bbq where they served home made blood sausage.