Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron

Default Window glazing compound vs Silicone URGENT

Ron wrote:
Scut Farkus wrote:
I started a reglazing job, some spot work, and painting. I already
pulled 2 windows out and painted them. I'm getting the glazing compound
tomorrow. But I can't leave the windows out for a week while the
glazing cures, I don't have the room to store them. And if I do 2 at a
time, it will take months.

My family is pushing me to use white silicone instead since the windows
are painted white, and just put them back in immediately. They said if
the window gets broken, the silicone comes off with the glass and you
just scrape it off the wood. (I know it's not that easy). Getting the
windows out was a pain, so putting them back in, then removing to paint
later is not the ideal thing..
I know Silicone is a bad idea, getting that stuff off is a real pain,
but it's quick fix. What should I do? Thanks..

I'm not sure I'm following you on this.

What is the reason that you don't want to put the windows back in if
you use the glazing compound/putty? If you are worried about them
falling out, you are supposed to use "points" to hold the glass in
while the glazing compound/putty dries.

Points come 2 ways. One is diamond shaped and requires a "point gun" to
install them. The others are pointed on one end and have a lip one the
other end so you can push them in with a flat screwdriver or putty
knife.

See figure #7

(Click on steps and then see figure #7)

http://www.easy2diy.com/cm/easy/diy_...ge_id=35694608

You can also use small nails to hold the glass as long as you are very
careful. It's very easy to break a pane if you get the nail to close to
the glass or slip with the hammer.

BTW, if you want to use silicone it's not that big of a deal if the
window has to be replaced. Removing silicone is a LOT easier than
removing hardened glazing putty!