Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Find location of a water leak??

I have a small one-story house with a water leak somewhere. My water
valve is at the street, the water line runs under the lawn and enters
the house at the front. There is another turn-off valve at the house,
before water goes into the house.
We have hot-water heater in the garage.
If I turn off the valve at the house the leak stops (dial doesn't
turn), so the leak is somewhere in the house or under the house.
I have turned off all water sources in the house, but still have the
leak, so I am guessing this means the water leak is somewhere under the
house. Our house is built on a permiter wall of concrete, and has a
very small crawl-space of only about 2 feet, and it's nasty down there.

Without going under the house, is there anyway to find out where th
leak is coming from?

Thanks,

Allen

Posted to alt.home.repair

if you have valves to isolate rooms, like bath try that.

the best way to avoid going down there is to find someone else to do it
for you, perhaps a neighbor kid? or adventerous friend

theres always a plumber

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT

No, even if the leak is above the crawl space, you will find evidence of it
down there.

" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a small one-story house with a water leak somewhere. My water
valve is at the street, the water line runs under the lawn and enters
the house at the front. There is another turn-off valve at the house,
before water goes into the house.
We have hot-water heater in the garage.
If I turn off the valve at the house the leak stops (dial doesn't
turn), so the leak is somewhere in the house or under the house.
I have turned off all water sources in the house, but still have the
leak, so I am guessing this means the water leak is somewhere under the
house. Our house is built on a permiter wall of concrete, and has a
very small crawl-space of only about 2 feet, and it's nasty down there.

Without going under the house, is there anyway to find out where th
leak is coming from?

Thanks,

Allen

Posted to alt.home.repair

I don't hear any toilet running

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm thinking, turn off the water at the hot water heater. I assume the
line going into the house splits offf as two lines with one going
directly to the hot water heater and the other going to the cold water
service lines. If leak stops, that means it is somewhere in one of the
hot water lines, otherwise it is cold water line.

I have heard about using stethescope to isolate. Anyone tried that
before??

Posted to alt.home.repair

I cannot imagine a fat plumber with a butt crack in a 2 foot crawl
space, maybe a neighbor kid

Posted to alt.home.repair

Put a webcam on a long stick.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren

On 11 Apr 2006 14:41:33 -0700, "
wrote:

I don't hear any toilet running

It can be subtle, try a food coloring in the tank. Don't flush and see
if the bowl water changes color.

Oren
excused from saving Universes."

Posted to alt.home.repair

get on some old clothes...get a flashlight...or a 500 watt halogen
lamp.......

get a long stick to move cobwebs etc out of the way.

go into crawlspace and make a lot of noise so that if there are any
creatures ...the noise will scare them away from you.

hunt for leak or signs of leaks.....

DO NOT get a neighborhood kid....if there is broken glass or a piece of
rusty metal under there, the kid will find it after it embeds itself
into him......lawsuit or worse could follow

One last warning....IF you see a creature and its young under there
remove yourself as quickly as possible....man is no match for a coon or
possum in a 2 foot crawspace.

DONT worry about snakes....they will move if they see or feel you
coming...make noise...smack the ground with a stick...they will move on

Posted to alt.home.repair
Rodney

On 11 Apr 2006 13:02:20 -0700, "
wrote:

I have a small one-story house with a water leak somewhere. My water
valve is at the street, the water line runs under the lawn and enters
the house at the front. There is another turn-off valve at the house,
before water goes into the house.
We have hot-water heater in the garage.
If I turn off the valve at the house the leak stops (dial doesn't
turn), so the leak is somewhere in the house or under the house.
I have turned off all water sources in the house, but still have the
leak, so I am guessing this means the water leak is somewhere under the
house. Our house is built on a permiter wall of concrete, and has a
very small crawl-space of only about 2 feet, and it's nasty down there.

Without going under the house, is there anyway to find out where th
leak is coming from?

Thanks,

Allen

Turn off the shut-off valve just beyond your water meter.

It will tell you if you have a leak between the valve which is located
where the water pipe goes into you house and the water meter.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Barker LT

What is the rate of flow? (how much water in how much time?)
(don't forget the icemaker)
--
Steve Barker

" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a small one-story house with a water leak somewhere. My water
valve is at the street, the water line runs under the lawn and enters
the house at the front. There is another turn-off valve at the house,
before water goes into the house.
We have hot-water heater in the garage.
If I turn off the valve at the house the leak stops (dial doesn't
turn), so the leak is somewhere in the house or under the house.
I have turned off all water sources in the house, but still have the
leak, so I am guessing this means the water leak is somewhere under the
house. Our house is built on a permiter wall of concrete, and has a
very small crawl-space of only about 2 feet, and it's nasty down there.

Without going under the house, is there anyway to find out where th
leak is coming from?

Thanks,

Allen

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for all the advice, this is an excellent forum, lots of
responders.

Here is what I have done so far:
(1) When I turn off the valve where the water enters the house, the
leak stops, so it is not in the front yard, but somewhere in or under
house.
(2) When i turn off the hot water heater, the leak is still there, so
it's in the cold water somewhere.
(3) I have turned off all water in the house, the sprinklers and the
outside faucets, and still have the leak.

Our house is on perimeter wall with about 2 ft crawl space. It's mushy
down there. It would really be nasty going down there
The leak is approximately 2-4 gal/hr

Our house was built in '89 so I think it is all copper down below.
Where would it most likely be leaking, in an elbow or a tee?
If it was leaking behind a fitting shouldn't the wall show some
dampness?

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

It is common for a toilet to leak without sound.

Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

1. unless your water is free, why not call a plumber in the morning?
i'll guess the leak is causing the mushy area. if you have winter and a
crawl space, you may need to add an automatic thermostat anti-freeze
pipe wrap heater after the plumber's repair. ask him.

2. if you use a washing machine double female and a white drinking
water rv hose to hook up to the neighbor's house hose cock to yours,
would that help to pinpoint the leak?

Posted to alt.home.repair

I am unclear on point # 2

The #1 rated home water filter in America Aquasana AQ-4000 nitin Home Ownership 1 December 13th 05 01:54 PM
The #1 rated home water filter in America Aquasana AQ-4000 nitin Home Ownership 0 December 13th 05 08:44 AM
Leak in hot water tank Johnny UK diy 9 April 9th 04 07:28 PM
I need a little advice on running waterlines in an uninsulated crawlspace ozark Home Repair 12 January 29th 04 05:23 AM