Posted to alt.home.repair
Speedy Jim

Default Find location of a water leak??

wrote:

I have a small one-story house with a water leak somewhere. My water
valve is at the street, the water line runs under the lawn and enters
the house at the front. There is another turn-off valve at the house,
before water goes into the house.
We have hot-water heater in the garage.
If I turn off the valve at the house the leak stops (dial doesn't
turn), so the leak is somewhere in the house or under the house.
I have turned off all water sources in the house, but still have the
leak, so I am guessing this means the water leak is somewhere under the
house. Our house is built on a permiter wall of concrete, and has a
very small crawl-space of only about 2 feet, and it's nasty down there.

Without going under the house, is there anyway to find out where th
leak is coming from?

Thanks,

Allen

Hard to say without being there and having a clear picture
of the layout. But...would it be possible to simply
abandon the line *under* the house? Since you have access to the
shutoff where the line enters the building, could you connect
a new line at that valve and run it to wherever the service
connects in side the house now?

This is a situation that calls for thinking "outside the box".
Do pipes freeze where you are if above ground?
Could a new line be pulled in by using the old one to pull with?
Trench around the house to reach some suitable entry point?
etc.

Jim