Posted to alt.home.repair
Vince

Default ELECTRIC Oven Repair Info Needed

Hello:

I have a WHIRLPOOL (1974 era) electric oven, MODEL: RYE1300Y2 and
SERIAL M351 80369.

The top element is not heating up.

Can someone point me to instructions on how to remove and replace the
top element ?

Thanks.

de ~ Vince ~
LONG ISLAND, NY

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ken

Vince wrote:
Hello:

I have a WHIRLPOOL (1974 era) electric oven, MODEL: RYE1300Y2 and
SERIAL M351 80369.

The top element is not heating up.

Can someone point me to instructions on how to remove and replace the
top element ?

Thanks.

de ~ Vince ~
LONG ISLAND, NY

If the oven has two elements, isn't the top one for the broiling function?
Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd

On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 01:58:49 GMT, Ken wrote:

Vince wrote:
Hello:

I have a WHIRLPOOL (1974 era) electric oven, MODEL: RYE1300Y2 and
SERIAL M351 80369.

The top element is not heating up.

Can someone point me to instructions on how to remove and replace the
top element ?

Thanks.

de ~ Vince ~
LONG ISLAND, NY

If the oven has two elements, isn't the top one for the broiling function?

I have had it fail in my oven, so I know it's used on bake too. With
just the bottom element, food won't cook completely on top.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 01:19:46 GMT, Vince
wrote:

Hello:

I have a WHIRLPOOL (1974 era) electric oven, MODEL: RYE1300Y2 and
SERIAL M351 80369.

The top element is not heating up.

Can someone point me to instructions on how to remove and replace the
top element ?

How do you know it is the element, and not the broil/bake switch?

On my Kenmore, my broil/bake switch failed and I couldn't broil, I
think it was.

Or even the wiring?

Thanks.

de ~ Vince ~
LONG ISLAND, NY

Posted to alt.home.repair
Vince

wrote:

Hello:

I have a WHIRLPOOL (1974 era) electric oven, MODEL: RYE1300Y2 and
SERIAL M351 80369.

The top element is not heating up.

Can someone point me to instructions on how to remove and replace the
top element ?

How do you know it is the element, and not the broil/bake switch?

On my Kenmore, my broil/bake switch failed and I couldn't broil, I
think it was.

Or even the wiring?

Thanks.

de ~ Vince ~
LONG ISLAND, NY

Well, at this point I really don't know if the cause is other than the
element. However, I believe that the element is more common a failure
than the switch and certainly more common than wiring. Once I have
the element in hand, I might be able to observe an open or detect an
open with an ohmmeter.

First step is to get instrux on disassembly so that I may access the
required component/areas.
Posted to alt.home.repair
AZ Nomad

wrote:

Hello:

I have a WHIRLPOOL (1974 era) electric oven, MODEL: RYE1300Y2 and
SERIAL M351 80369.

The top element is not heating up.

Can someone point me to instructions on how to remove and replace the
top element ?

How do you know it is the element, and not the broil/bake switch?

On my Kenmore, my broil/bake switch failed and I couldn't broil, I
think it was.

Or even the wiring?

Put a meter on it's terminals.
With the oven ON, use the AC volts function. If there's 110vac
and no heat, then the element is bad. If there's no voltage, then the
problem is elsewhere.

Or, with the oven unplugged, use the resistance function -- should be close
to zero ohms.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

wrote:

[...]

Aha. I took remove and replace to refer to replacing with a
replacement, that is, a new element. I don't know how your particular
oven is assembled.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Vince

wrote:

[...]

I should have mentioned that this is a walloven unit.

I don't know if the entire unit must be removed from the cabinet/wall
or if the top element can be removed from within the oven itself. It
appears that each end of the element simply passes through clearance
holes in the top back wall.

The lower element, which I replaced some years ago, was a piece of
cake. It has mounting brackets at the rear wall held by a screw, each
side.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Vince

On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 22:26:23 GMT, "barbarow"
wrote:

http://www.appliancepartspros.com/in...?gadws=2&ad=ov

The above ref link is proving to be very useful for me. I have found
info on the RYE1300 wallovens; although mine has an analog clock and
does not have any rotisserie (motor/timer etc.) feature.

I wish that there were a schematic available so that I may trouble
isolate my present "no broil" problem.

Thanks, again.