Posted to alt.home.repair
Vince

Default ELECTRIC Oven Repair Info Needed

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 17:05:51 -0500, mm
wrote:

On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 11:54:22 GMT, Vince
wrote:

On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 03:47:48 -0500, mm
wrote:

On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 01:19:46 GMT, Vince
wrote:

Hello:

I have a WHIRLPOOL (1974 era) electric oven, MODEL: RYE1300Y2 and
SERIAL M351 80369.

The top element is not heating up.

Can someone point me to instructions on how to remove and replace the
top element ?

How do you know it is the element, and not the broil/bake switch?

On my Kenmore, my broil/bake switch failed and I couldn't broil, I
think it was.

Or even the wiring?

Thanks.

de ~ Vince ~
LONG ISLAND, NY

Well, at this point I really don't know if the cause is other than the
element. However, I believe that the element is more common a failure
than the switch and certainly more common than wiring. Once I have
the element in hand, I might be able to observe an open or detect an
open with an ohmmeter.

First step is to get instrux on disassembly so that I may access the
required component/areas.

Aha. I took remove and replace to refer to replacing with a
replacement, that is, a new element. I don't know how your particular
oven is assembled.

I should have mentioned that this is a walloven unit.

I don't know if the entire unit must be removed from the cabinet/wall
or if the top element can be removed from within the oven itself. It
appears that each end of the element simply passes through clearance
holes in the top back wall.

The lower element, which I replaced some years ago, was a piece of
cake. It has mounting brackets at the rear wall held by a screw, each
side.