Posted to alt.home.repair

Default replace bathtub

I am looking at renovating my bathroom, and I would like to replace my
old bathtub with a deeper one. My house was built in the 70's and the
tub has gyprock walls on 3 sides.I am relatively inexperienced
diy'er.I have looked around and bathtubs are relatively inexpensive,but
paying a contractor to install one seems to be very expensive.Can
anyone explain the inns and outs of replaceing a bathtub.
Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jack

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am looking at renovating my bathroom, and I would like to replace my
old bathtub with a deeper one. My house was built in the 70's and the
tub has gyprock walls on 3 sides.I am relatively inexperienced
diy'er.I have looked around and bathtubs are relatively inexpensive,but
paying a contractor to install one seems to be very expensive.Can
anyone explain the inns and outs of replaceing a bathtub.
Thanks

Replacing a bathtub is major bitch. You need to remove the tiles and sheet
rock around it. Sometimes you need to remove studs/walls, toilet, vanity and
door just to get it out. I'm doing one now where I need to stand the tub up
to get it out. Lucky its steel and not cast iron.

Posted to alt.home.repair

You can break up a cast iron tub and take it out in pieces.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I am looking at renovating my bathroom, and I would like to replace my
old bathtub with a deeper one. My house was built in the 70's and the
tub has gyprock walls on 3 sides.I am relatively inexperienced
diy'er.I have looked around and bathtubs are relatively inexpensive,but
paying a contractor to install one seems to be very expensive.Can
anyone explain the inns and outs of replaceing a bathtub.
Thanks

I replaced a 30 year old bath tub with a jaccuzzi, and this was my
first time doing it. It was a major undertaking, but not an impossible
task.

You have to take down the walls surrounding the tub, and expose the
studs. If it is a cast iron tub, break it up with a sledge hammer. If
it is fiberglass, you may be able to saw it off in pieces. It is not
worth trying to maneuver the old tub out in one peice. Save that energy
for moving the new tub in.

With the old tub out of the way, this is the time to do any plumbing
repairs.

Maneuvering the new tub will be a big pain. But I was able to move it
without anyones help. A fiberglass tub will be much easier to maneuver.
Since the tub is rectangular, and the space it goes into is also
rectangular and is a tight fit, you have to do some math to figure out
which is the best angle to come in at. I ended up having to remove some
more drywall so that I could slide parts of the bathtub between the
studs to create more maneuvering space. It was tough, but I got it in
somehow. Once the tub is in, everything is smooth sailing. Replace the
walls with some green boards, and cover it with some brand new acrylic
surrounds, and you will have a brand new bathroom.