Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht

Default replace bathtub

On 28 Mar 2006 08:08:25 -0800, wrote:

You can break up a cast iron tub and take it out in pieces.

Just tried this last month.
After about the third whack with my 20lb sledge my wife started
hollering that the cans were falling off the shelves in th epantry
downstairs. I looked at the tub & saw that I had just cracked the
porcelain coating, but the iron was intact.

I grabbed my reciprocating saw-- and a blade appropriately called 'The
Torch' - and 3 blades and 20 minutes later, with no further damage to
the house, I had 2 150lb pieces instead of 1 300 pounder.

[Warning to OP-- That was 5 weeks ago and the start of what I saw as a
$700 2 weekend job. [We were *just* going to replace the tub & put in
a surround] I'm pleased with my work, but it is not quite done, and
I just went over $2000. We have all new fixtures, walls, ceiling
and floor covering-- and I even canned the crap hollowcore door that
was on the bathroom. I paint the new door this weekend and I'll be
done.]

Jim