Posted to alt.home.repair
sue

Default Drain Tile Maintenance

I live in a residential subdivision that is about 12 years old.

A fair number of our neighbours are being told that they should have
the drain tiles examined with a camera, which requires some digging and
lifting up of sidewalk tiles in some cases. It's apparently a
"preventative maintenance issue". The company is are offering a "group
discount" - usual price $750 reduced to $500.

We're mostly seniors and this sounds like a scam to me - does anyone
know? Any helpful information will be most appreciated. I've lived in
many houses over the years and have only had drain tiles checked when
purchasing an older home. Thank you.

Posted to alt.home.repair
DanG

It would be unusual for any sanitary sewer install done in the
last 20 years to be anything other than PVC. There is a chance it
may have been done in cast iron in an area with archaic codes. In
either case there are no "tiles". It is possible to have a camera
study done if you have been having problems. The camera can help
in finding problems like root penetration, crushed / damaged /
bellied pipe, or build up of deposits inside the pipe. Depending
on your area, I would think a simple camera inspection to be more
in the $100 -$200 range, call an independent plumber for a quote
and have it done if it will make you feel better. I can think of
no reason to break out a section of sidewalk unless the riser to
the main is in the front yard and something has gone wrong with
the riser (unusual with a professionally installed system). Trees
and bushes like to try to invade any sewer system, but PVC resists
the attack better than other systems
If you are not having problems, I can think of no "maintenance"
type service that could or should be performed on a PVC system.

________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"sue" wrote in message
oups.com...
I live in a residential subdivision that is about 12 years old.

A fair number of our neighbours are being told that they should
have
the drain tiles examined with a camera, which requires some
digging and
lifting up of sidewalk tiles in some cases. It's apparently a
"preventative maintenance issue". The company is are offering a
"group
discount" - usual price $750 reduced to $500.

We're mostly seniors and this sounds like a scam to me - does
anyone
know? Any helpful information will be most appreciated. I've
lived in
many houses over the years and have only had drain tiles checked
when
purchasing an older home. Thank you.

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

Maintenance, a properly instaled system is mantenance free. I have one
apx 85 yrs old. If it does not drain it is clogged from poor
instalation. Wait till it fails and save your money.

Posted to alt.home.repair
John

sue wrote:

I live in a residential subdivision that is about 12 years old.

A fair number of our neighbours are being told that they should have
the drain tiles examined with a camera, which requires some digging and
lifting up of sidewalk tiles in some cases. It's apparently a
"preventative maintenance issue". The company is are offering a "group
discount" - usual price $750 reduced to $500.

We're mostly seniors and this sounds like a scam to me - does anyone
know? Any helpful informaion will be most appreciated. I've lived in
many houses over the years and have only had drain tiles checked when
purchasing an older home. Thank you.

Sure sounds like a scam to me. The phrase "drain tile" is very suspicious
too. If the houses are 12 years old, there should be nothing wrong with
you drain pipes. That's practically brand new. Even if there is, you'll
know it. Beware anyone who goes door to door, or otherwise tells you that
you "need" something. That caution goes double for seniors.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RobertM

Get his full name, address, phone number. Then call the hotline for fraud at
whatever agency in your state handles consumer protection.

Bob

"sue" wrote in message
oups.com...
I live in a residential subdivision that is about 12 years old.

A fair number of our neighbours are being told that they should have
the drain tiles examined with a camera, which requires some digging and
lifting up of sidewalk tiles in some cases. It's apparently a
"preventative maintenance issue". The company is are offering a "group
discount" - usual price $750 reduced to $500.

We're mostly seniors and this sounds like a scam to me - does anyone
know? Any helpful information will be most appreciated. I've lived in
many houses over the years and have only had drain tiles checked when
purchasing an older home. Thank you.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dnoyeB

m Ransley wrote:
Maintenance, a properly instaled system is mantenance free. I have one
apx 85 yrs old. If it does not drain it is clogged from poor
instalation. Wait till it fails and save your money.

How will you know it failed if you dont inspect it? You could wait till
you walls or floor crack I suppose.

--
Thank you,

Posted to alt.home.repair
dnoyeB

sue wrote:
I live in a residential subdivision that is about 12 years old.

A fair number of our neighbours are being told that they should have
the drain tiles examined with a camera, which requires some digging and
lifting up of sidewalk tiles in some cases. It's apparently a
"preventative maintenance issue". The company is are offering a "group
discount" - usual price $750 reduced to $500.

We're mostly seniors and this sounds like a scam to me - does anyone
know? Any helpful information will be most appreciated. I've lived in
many houses over the years and have only had drain tiles checked when
purchasing an older home. Thank you.

I live in a residential subdivision that is about 5 years old.

My 'drain tiles' don't appear to have been properly installed. We get
lots of dirt/sand in our pit, and our floor has cracked. Fortunately
the installer put cleanouts around perimeter of basement where the
outside pipes enter the basement. (Perhaps they are not technically
drain tiles, but every plumber in my house still called them that for
simplicity I suppose).

When I opened the cleanout it was full of same. Camera inspection later
showed the pipes had an uphill slope and that is why they collected sand
and clogged up. Fortunately this all happened 1 month before my home
warranty expired. Saved me several thousand dollars as they had to bust
up the floor and relay those pipes that were mis-layed just 3 years ago
when the house was built. (original installer did the repairs)

So if you see anything like cracked or damp walls or floor, drastically
reduced water volume, feel safe getting inspection. However, I would
INSIST they install cleanouts. IF they are going to dig up the ground
and charge you $500 for this, they need to install cleanouts so that
cleanouts happen to be on the outside of your house.

My first camera inspection cost me about $200, so $500 with digging is
not unresonable. The work itself seems resonably priced, the question
is if you need it or not. If you get a cleanout installed with it, then
its all good in my book.

--
Thank you,

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

A cloged system wont drain, an improperly installed system will clog.
The specifications are known, the proper size and amount of gravel must
surround the pipe, pipe socks are used in sandy areas. If their system
is clogged it isnt draining, if it was poorly installed the subdivision
has a major suit against the builder. A properly designed and installed
system is maintenance free.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dnoyeB

m Ransley wrote:
A cloged system wont drain, an improperly installed system will clog.
The specifications are known, the proper size and amount of gravel must
surround the pipe, pipe socks are used in sandy areas. If their system
is clogged it isnt draining, if it was poorly installed the subdivision
has a major suit against the builder. A properly designed and installed
system is maintenance free.

My system was not properly installed yet it did drain and quite a bit as
well. But there was tar weeping into one drain, and every cleanout in
the basement was full of sand except the two closest to the pit. The
sewer backflow valve access pit was full of water, and some cement we
layed had moisture lines along the edges.

If there are no signs forget it. Maybe take this as an opportunity to
check for the signs of a system problem. I guess I'm coming around to
the scam view. The camera is used to locate known problems, not fish
for potential ones. If there is a problem it should show in some way.
albeit it will be a damaging way, but if your watching and catch it soon
enough should be just fine.

They should offer to inspect for potential problems before they offer to
dig and insert a camera. Kind of like offering othroscopic surgery to
see if you have arthritis in a joint you are not having pain in.

--
Thank you,

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Boulter

John wrote on 26 Mar 2006:

The phrase "drain tile" is very suspicious
too. If the houses are 12 years old, there should be nothing
wrong with you drain pipes.

Drain tile is the (usually exterior) perimeter drainage system and
has nothing whatsoever to do with the drain-waste-vent system you
are thinking of. Drain tile will either flow to daylight or to a
sump.

--
Doug Boulter

To reply by e-mail, remove the obvious word from the e-mail address