Posted to alt.home.repair
John

Default Drain Tile Maintenance

sue wrote:

I live in a residential subdivision that is about 12 years old.

A fair number of our neighbours are being told that they should have
the drain tiles examined with a camera, which requires some digging and
lifting up of sidewalk tiles in some cases. It's apparently a
"preventative maintenance issue". The company is are offering a "group
discount" - usual price $750 reduced to $500.

We're mostly seniors and this sounds like a scam to me - does anyone
know? Any helpful informaion will be most appreciated. I've lived in
many houses over the years and have only had drain tiles checked when
purchasing an older home. Thank you.

Sure sounds like a scam to me. The phrase "drain tile" is very suspicious
too. If the houses are 12 years old, there should be nothing wrong with
you drain pipes. That's practically brand new. Even if there is, you'll
know it. Beware anyone who goes door to door, or otherwise tells you that
you "need" something. That caution goes double for seniors.