Posted to alt.home.repair
dnoyeB

Default Drain Tile Maintenance

sue wrote:
I live in a residential subdivision that is about 12 years old.

A fair number of our neighbours are being told that they should have
the drain tiles examined with a camera, which requires some digging and
lifting up of sidewalk tiles in some cases. It's apparently a
"preventative maintenance issue". The company is are offering a "group
discount" - usual price $750 reduced to $500.

We're mostly seniors and this sounds like a scam to me - does anyone
know? Any helpful information will be most appreciated. I've lived in
many houses over the years and have only had drain tiles checked when
purchasing an older home. Thank you.

I live in a residential subdivision that is about 5 years old.

My 'drain tiles' don't appear to have been properly installed. We get
lots of dirt/sand in our pit, and our floor has cracked. Fortunately
the installer put cleanouts around perimeter of basement where the
outside pipes enter the basement. (Perhaps they are not technically
drain tiles, but every plumber in my house still called them that for
simplicity I suppose).

When I opened the cleanout it was full of same. Camera inspection later
showed the pipes had an uphill slope and that is why they collected sand
and clogged up. Fortunately this all happened 1 month before my home
warranty expired. Saved me several thousand dollars as they had to bust
up the floor and relay those pipes that were mis-layed just 3 years ago
when the house was built. (original installer did the repairs)

So if you see anything like cracked or damp walls or floor, drastically
reduced water volume, feel safe getting inspection. However, I would
INSIST they install cleanouts. IF they are going to dig up the ground
and charge you $500 for this, they need to install cleanouts so that
cleanouts happen to be on the outside of your house.

My first camera inspection cost me about $200, so $500 with digging is
not unresonable. The work itself seems resonably priced, the question
is if you need it or not. If you get a cleanout installed with it, then
its all good in my book.

--
Thank you,