Posted to alt.home.repair
casey@thebat

Default Soft siding behind deck leger board-remove-repair?

I am getting ready to sell my house. Doing routine inspection
and repairs. The siding behind deck, 1 board is soft. I know an
inspector will note this. Short of ripping the deck out, pretty much
out of the question, deck is 32' long. What would be a suitable
solution. I know the proper method would be to put flashing WHEN
it was built, but I am the 2nd owner. Suggestions?
Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

get some estimates, they might have some good ideas.wonder if the
moisture has damaged the undelying area and insulation?

your probably better off to hire your own home inspector, and fix what
you can DIY.

Otherwise the BUYERS home inspector will REQUIRE professional repairs
with paid receipts for every little thing

some buyers will be satisfied with a sellers home inspection, saving
them money and you grief

Posted to alt.home.repair
casey@thebat

Thanks, but not looking for estimates now - I'm looking
for repair and solutions to the problem. I can handle just
about anything around the house. I just don't have an
idea of what would satisfy a HI.

On 19 Mar 2006 13:04:50 -0800, "
wrote:

get some estimates, they might have some good ideas.wonder if the
moisture has damaged the undelying area and insulation?

your probably better off to hire your own home inspector, and fix what
you can DIY.

Otherwise the BUYERS home inspector will REQUIRE professional repairs
with paid receipts for every little thing

some buyers will be satisfied with a sellers home inspection, saving
them money and you grief

Posted to alt.home.repair
marson

thats a tough one without seeing it. is the deck ledger on top of the
siding? does the decking run parallel to the house? then maybe you
remove the first deck board, cut the siding off above the deck and
tuck a piece of Z flashing under the siding and over the deck ledger.
that would prevent further rot and even if more flashing was exposed
than ideal, it would be better than current situation.

Posted to alt.home.repair
ameijers

"marson" wrote in message
ups.com...
thats a tough one without seeing it. is the deck ledger on top of the
siding? does the decking run parallel to the house? then maybe you
remove the first deck board, cut the siding off above the deck and
tuck a piece of Z flashing under the siding and over the deck ledger.
that would prevent further rot and even if more flashing was exposed
than ideal, it would be better than current situation.

That is what I was thinking- one of those Aw ****s for which there is no
painless easy solution, especially if the underlying sheathing and band
joist is also rotten. Cut away or remove enough decking to get access,
Sawzall or chisel away all the rot, and piece it back in as best you can. If
you have to cut perpendicular deck boards off at the first joist, you can
maybe disguise it with a bench. Depending on how deck is framed, and how
ledger board is attached, OP may be able to unbolt it from house, and
fine-tune reality a tad, flexing the entire deck structure over enough to
get the rotten siding board out of there. Leastways, a lot of the decks I
have known had that much flex available- ledger boards were used to keep a
minimal structure stiff enough. All this is a good example of why good
flashing and ledger board standoffs are considered good workmanlike
practice. The water has to have an escape route.

aem sends...

Help to repair Convergence board on PIONEER SD-P6081 & STK4277-SL Te Electronics Repair 1 December 11th 04 09:12 PM
Built my first board, here are details revgum Woodworking 7 December 8th 04 08:09 AM
Kenmore Eliter dryer electronic control board repair Roy and Rosa Electronics Repair 3 October 19th 04 06:51 PM
deck problem John D'Errico Home Repair 3 August 30th 04 12:02 AM
Zienth Vertical Squish (How do I find and test the Capacitor?) Kevin Cornwell Electronics Repair 8 September 15th 03 02:17 PM