Te

Default Help to repair Convergence board on PIONEER SD-P6081 & STK4277-SL

My Pioneer SDP 6081 tv recently developed a convergence problem. The
convergence in the center seems ok, and can be adjusted, but the outter
edges are "fish eyed" (warped) and user control adjustments do not move the
beams. Let me also say that I'm no technician or anything like that- I'm a
guy who know's how to solder, and have been around electronics pretty much
my whole life. I'm no advanced, but I'm no dummy either

I called a repair man out, and he explained the convergence board must be
rebuilt at a cost of $350 + $40 service call fee (which I had to pay
already). I did a few google searches and found that the STK4279-SL chip
under the main heatsink is usually the culprit of outter edge convergence
issues. Pioneer will sell me a newly rebuilt replacement convergence board
for $253.00 + s/h, or the chip (STK4279-SL-STK4277-SL) alone for $42 + s/h.
As I understand it from Pioneer, the STK4277SL chip (which is whats on this
board), is no longer available and has been replaced by the STK4279-SL.
Can I replace the (older?) STK4277-SL which is whats on my board, with a
(newer?) STK4279-SL chip? Will everything still fit? All the leads and
pinouts the same? Heatsink will fit, etc?

Assuming I can do this, will I need a scope or any other extreme piece of
equipment to realign the heads/guns of the picture? I've gone into the
service menu and written down all the RH/RV and BH/BV positions from the 0-9
keys (pressing each of them several times to get all the stored values).
I'm guess at worse I will have to re-enter these values and re-align my
convergence and I should be good to go?

Any detailed advice that could be given would be greatly
appreciated......... THANK YOU.