Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Conway

Default Determining Crown Cutting Angle With Sloped Ceiling

I'm thinking of adding crown to a ceiling that's intentionally sloped
at an as yet
undetermined angle (it's not a drastic slope and might be something
like 80 degrees).
How can I determine what angle my compound miter saw needs to be set
at and is it the bevel or miter setting that is used to determine the
ceiling angle? Or if I choose to cope,
perhaps it doesn't matter at all and standard angles apply....?

Thanks in advance!

Posted to alt.home.repair
James \Cubby\ Culbertson

"Jim Conway" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm thinking of adding crown to a ceiling that's intentionally sloped
at an as yet
undetermined angle (it's not a drastic slope and might be something
like 80 degrees).
How can I determine what angle my compound miter saw needs to be set
at and is it the bevel or miter setting that is used to determine the
ceiling angle? Or if I choose to cope,
perhaps it doesn't matter at all and standard angles apply....?

Thanks in advance!

There are charts available or you could also go this route:

http://www.compoundmiter.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair
mjb920

Jim,

Your saw manual should have tables with angles.
The manual from my DeWalt:
http://toolnet.dewalt.com/Toolnet/OM...0330DE051F.pdf

There's a bunch of other info if you Google "compound miter angles".
Everything from charts to tables to scientific formulas.

The one thing they all seemed to say - practice on scrap pieces.

Jim

Jim Conway wrote:
I'm thinking of adding crown to a ceiling that's intentionally sloped
at an as yet
undetermined angle (it's not a drastic slope and might be something
like 80 degrees).
How can I determine what angle my compound miter saw needs to be set
at and is it the bevel or miter setting that is used to determine the
ceiling angle? Or if I choose to cope,
perhaps it doesn't matter at all and standard angles apply....?

Thanks in advance!

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm not sure I know what I'm talking about here, but the sloped cut along
the edges of the length of crown molding are intended for 90 degree
ceilings. If the anghe is greater than 90 (which it will be if the ceiling
slopes up from the wall rather than down) both edges cannot be made to fit
flust to the ceiling no matter how you cut it at the end. If you mount the
bottom edge against the wall, the gap along the top edge will probably not
show, especially for an angle of about 110 degrees which is what I expect
you meant.

Jim Conway wrote:
I'm thinking of adding crown to a ceiling that's intentionally sloped
at an as yet
undetermined angle (it's not a drastic slope and might be something
like 80 degrees).
How can I determine what angle my compound miter saw needs to be set
at and is it the bevel or miter setting that is used to determine the
ceiling angle? Or if I choose to cope,
perhaps it doesn't matter at all and standard angles apply....?

Thanks in advance!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Conway

Jim,
Table 1 in that DeWalt document looks to have the info I needed, and
which my Ridgid manual didn't. Thanks very much!