Posted to alt.home.repair
DL

Default Condensation in dryer vent line

I noticed the other day that when my wife was doing a considerable amount of
drying, that there was condensation in the dryer vent piping.

The piping comes from the upper floor, down through the main level into the
basement and then goes to an exterior wall and exits our home.

I noticed dripping from the vent piping at the 90 degree turn in the
basement where it comes from the upper levels.

Is this normal? Don't know that I have ever noticed this before, mainly
because it is not something have ever looked for.

David

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

Sounds like the vent pipe may be to long. Check with the dryer manufacturer
as to the maximum length and bends allowable for the machine. You have
hot,moist air flowing through it, and the longer it is, the more opportunity
it has to cool and condense

"DL" wrote in message
I noticed the other day that when my wife was doing a considerable amount
of drying, that there was condensation in the dryer vent piping.

The piping comes from the upper floor, down through the main level into
the basement and then goes to an exterior wall and exits our home.

I noticed dripping from the vent piping at the 90 degree turn in the
basement where it comes from the upper levels.

Is this normal? Don't know that I have ever noticed this before, mainly
because it is not something have ever looked for.

David

Posted to alt.home.repair
John Grabowski

"DL" wrote in message
I noticed the other day that when my wife was doing a considerable amount

of
drying, that there was condensation in the dryer vent piping.

The piping comes from the upper floor, down through the main level into

the
basement and then goes to an exterior wall and exits our home.

I noticed dripping from the vent piping at the 90 degree turn in the
basement where it comes from the upper levels.

Is this normal? Don't know that I have ever noticed this before, mainly
because it is not something have ever looked for.

David

I had a similar problem with my dryer vent passing through the attic. I
insulated the duct with duct wrap and it has been fine since. You might
want to make sure that your vent pipe is clean. Too much lint will absorb
moisture and restrict air flow.

Posted to alt.home.repair
DL

Good point. I will look into it.

The day she was doing the laundry and I noticed the condensation, it was a
very very cold day, which makes me think that I need to check the outside
vent to see if any cold air could be getting in.

I am also thinking about purchasing a dryer vent cleaning kit to make sure
that there is no major buildup of lint so that the dryer is able to properly
vent.

David

"DL" wrote in message
I noticed the other day that when my wife was doing a considerable amount
of drying, that there was condensation in the dryer vent piping.

The piping comes from the upper floor, down through the main level into
the basement and then goes to an exterior wall and exits our home.

I noticed dripping from the vent piping at the 90 degree turn in the
basement where it comes from the upper levels.

Is this normal? Don't know that I have ever noticed this before, mainly
because it is not something have ever looked for.

David

Posted to alt.home.repair
DL

Thanks for the advice.

Being in a heated basement, I am not sure the duct wrap is necessary, though
I did see a very lousy / non-existent attempt to tape the joints between the
sections of vent pipe. I agree that I should make sure that the ducts have
been cleaned.

David

"John Grabowski" wrote in message

"DL" wrote in message
I noticed the other day that when my wife was doing a considerable amount

of
drying, that there was condensation in the dryer vent piping.

The piping comes from the upper floor, down through the main level into

the
basement and then goes to an exterior wall and exits our home.

I noticed dripping from the vent piping at the 90 degree turn in the
basement where it comes from the upper levels.

Is this normal? Don't know that I have ever noticed this before, mainly
because it is not something have ever looked for.

David

I had a similar problem with my dryer vent passing through the attic. I
insulated the duct with duct wrap and it has been fine since. You might
want to make sure that your vent pipe is clean. Too much lint will absorb
moisture and restrict air flow.

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT

In my own situation, while I did not have moisture dripping, I found that
aluminium pipe draws the heat out causing condensation. The moisture inside
the pipe quickly gathers lint, so much that I was having to clean out the
pipes every 3 months. The 4 inch diameter tubes had about 1/2 to 3/4" of
lint stuck to the tube walls.

I replaced the run (this is for an electric dryer, do not do this for a gas
dryer) with 4" PVC sewer/drain pipe. I have not had to clean it out for the
past 12 years. The plastic pipe holds the heat in and prevents or reduces
any condensation. My idea to use PVC was based on seeing furnaces that used
ABS or PVC drain pipe as a vent.

"DL" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
whodat

your dryer vent is definatly too long, no doubt about it.

--
whodat
whodat's Profile: http://www.HomeOutfit.com/member.php?userid=35

Posted to alt.home.repair
DL

Really good idea. though it would be major surgery to replace the 16' run
from the dryer upstairs (3rd level) to the basement.the basement run would
be simple. How did you connect from the dryer to the PVC?

I am almost scared as to what I will find in the vent ducts when I clean
them.

David

anews.com...

"DL" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT

I used a short length of flexible vinyl tubing, just enough to allow me to
make the connection and move the dryer that last few inches against the wall
after I had extracted myself. Had to reduce the diameter of the PVC sewer
pipe slightly to fit the vinyl tubing over it. Used a heat gun to soften the
pipe and a tightened large gear clamp to shrink the diameter until it was
the right size. Worked like a charm.

"DL" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
CDET 14

16' is not too long for a dryer vent, although the shorter the better.
Have you considered terminating the vent to the exterior near the
dryer?
If you need help with the cleanout, which is clearly needed, visit
http://CleanYourOwnDryerVent.com

"DL" wrote in message
[...]

Home clothes dryer vent lets cold in Dugie Home Repair 12 December 19th 05 06:08 AM
Inline Dryer Vent Jibber Home Repair 5 December 16th 05 08:54 PM
Dryer Vent Inline Diverter Energy Saver - Advice wanted Mak Wilson Home Repair 20 October 19th 05 01:54 AM
dryer vent location John Home Repair 7 June 14th 05 04:31 AM
Dryer vent to garage? [email protected] Home Repair 24 January 24th 05 05:34 PM