Posted to alt.home.repair
DL

Default Condensation in dryer vent line

Really good idea. though it would be major surgery to replace the 16' run
from the dryer upstairs (3rd level) to the basement.the basement run would
be simple. How did you connect from the dryer to the PVC?

I am almost scared as to what I will find in the vent ducts when I clean
them.

David

"EXT" etonks@sunstormADD-DOT-COM wrote in message
anews.com...
In my own situation, while I did not have moisture dripping, I found that
aluminium pipe draws the heat out causing condensation. The moisture
inside
the pipe quickly gathers lint, so much that I was having to clean out the
pipes every 3 months. The 4 inch diameter tubes had about 1/2 to 3/4" of
lint stuck to the tube walls.

I replaced the run (this is for an electric dryer, do not do this for a
gas
dryer) with 4" PVC sewer/drain pipe. I have not had to clean it out for
the
past 12 years. The plastic pipe holds the heat in and prevents or reduces
any condensation. My idea to use PVC was based on seeing furnaces that
used
ABS or PVC drain pipe as a vent.

"DL" wrote in message
Thanks for the advice.

Being in a heated basement, I am not sure the duct wrap is necessary,

though
I did see a very lousy / non-existent attempt to tape the joints between

the
sections of vent pipe. I agree that I should make sure that the ducts

have
been cleaned.

David

"John Grabowski" wrote in message

"DL" wrote in message
I noticed the other day that when my wife was doing a considerable

amount
of
drying, that there was condensation in the dryer vent piping.

The piping comes from the upper floor, down through the main level
into
the
basement and then goes to an exterior wall and exits our home.

I noticed dripping from the vent piping at the 90 degree turn in the
basement where it comes from the upper levels.

Is this normal? Don't know that I have ever noticed this before,

mainly
because it is not something have ever looked for.

David

I had a similar problem with my dryer vent passing through the attic.
insulated the duct with duct wrap and it has been fine since. You
might
want to make sure that your vent pipe is clean. Too much lint will

absorb
moisture and restrict air flow.