Posted to alt.home.repair
Amanda Robin

Default Black grease in washer

Hi all,

I have read some previous threads about this problem. I wondered if
anybody could hazard a guess for my model of washer, which just exuded a
whole bunch of black grease into a load of sheets and bedding. Not just
some spots, but big wipes of it on each piece.

It is a Kenmore front-loader, less than 6 years old. Model #
41740042990. I had repair work done on it last year--it needed the motor
control board replaced. I shoulda sprung for the extended warrantee
then, it seems.

Anyway, I know it's the washer, since I haven't dried the load in
question yet. I'm now running a small load of towels to see if it
happens again. It hasn't happened yet; I suspect it will happen during
the spin cycle.

Thanks for any tips. May be time for a new washer....

Amanda
5p5 5p5 is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda Robin
Hi all,

I have read some previous threads about this problem. I wondered if
anybody could hazard a guess for my model of washer, which just exuded a
whole bunch of black grease into a load of sheets and bedding. Not just
some spots, but big wipes of it on each piece.
Amanda
'Black grease' is often caused by a rubber or rubber-lined hose that's deteriorating somewhere. If you run hot water into the tub and see black specks, check the water heater for flexible braided connectors. If it's only the washer, it could be the hoses that feed it, or an internal hose.

Many, if not all, water districts have switched from using Chlorine to Chloramine. Chloramine will attack certain kinds of rubber (putting chems in the water that's bad for plumbing: how's that for dumb?).
Posted to alt.home.repair
Amanda Robin

In article r5kNf.31563$%v4.31296@trnddc03,
"dadiOH" wrote:

Amanda Robin wrote:
Hi all,

I have read some previous threads about this problem. I wondered if
anybody could hazard a guess for my model of washer, which just
exuded a whole bunch of black grease into a load of sheets and
bedding. Not just some spots, but big wipes of it on each piece.

It is a Kenmore front-loader, less than 6 years old. Model #
41740042990. I had repair work done on it last year--it needed the
motor control board replaced. I shoulda sprung for the extended
warrantee then, it seems.

Anyway, I know it's the washer, since I haven't dried the load in
question yet. I'm now running a small load of towels to see if it
happens again. It hasn't happened yet; I suspect it will happen during
the spin cycle.

Thanks for any tips. May be time for a new washer....

It is. Cost to fix it is almost as much. BTW, stop washing stuff in
it, the grease won't come out (of clothes).

Interestingly, the second batch, some throwaway towels, didn't have any
grease. But I'm not one to throw good money after bad....

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Amanda
Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

"Amanda Robin" wrote in message ...
Hi all,

I have read some previous threads about this problem. I wondered if
anybody could hazard a guess for my model of washer, which just exuded a
whole bunch of black grease into a load of sheets and bedding. Not just
some spots, but big wipes of it on each piece.

Rub some waterless hand cleaner into the grease (Goop). Let it sit overnight. Then
wash it twice - once to get rid of the grease, once to get rid of the smell of
the cleaner. This has removed any grease I've ever gotten on my clothes.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn

clipped

It is. Cost to fix it is almost as much. BTW, stop washing stuff in
it, the grease won't come out (of clothes).

Air dry the sheets, then try drycleaners.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH

"dadiOH" wrote:

Amanda Robin wrote:

Thanks for any tips. May be time for a new washer....

It is. Cost to fix it is almost as much. BTW, stop washing stuff in
it, the grease won't come out (of clothes).

Interestingly, the second batch, some throwaway towels, didn't have
any grease. But I'm not one to throw good money after bad....

The grease can be sporadic. The problem is a bad/worn seal between the
tub and the transmission.

One would think said seal could be easily (and cheaply) replaced. I did
not find that to be the case, bought a new washer. Still use the grease
stained sheets

--
dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...