Posted to alt.home.repair
LPV

Default Question about caulk cartridges

Does anyone have any tips on how to keep the caulk in the tip of an opened
cartridge from drying out/hardening?

Thanks!

Loren

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark

I've heard about inserting a "common nail" head first into the tip of the
cartridge leaving the sharp end of the nail exposed sufficiently so that you
can pull it out when you want to use the caulk again. I've never tried it,
but it seems like it would work.

Mark

"LPV" wrote in message
Does anyone have any tips on how to keep the caulk in the tip of an opened
cartridge from drying out/hardening?

Thanks!

Loren

Posted to alt.home.repair
Whitaker

LPV wrote:
Does anyone have any tips on how to keep the caulk in the tip of an opened
cartridge from drying out/hardening?

Thanks!

Loren

Use a short piece of rubber hose. very snuge fit over end of chaulking tip.
Plug one end of hose with Chauking, preferably silicone, slip other end
of hose over chaulking cartridge tip.
Will not work for ever, but for a while.

jerry
Posted to alt.home.repair
Bill Waller

On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 13:25:28 -0600, "LPV"
wrote:

Does anyone have any tips on how to keep the caulk in the tip of an opened
cartridge from drying out/hardening?

Thanks!

Loren

I have had luck with folding duct tape over the opening on caulk and Liquid
Nails.
____________________
Bill Waller
New Eagle, PA

Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren

wrote:

Does anyone have any tips on how to keep the caulk in the tip of an opened
cartridge from drying out/hardening?

Over night to a few days, duct tape on the tip end. A little longer I
use a 4" screw - if it's drying caulk the screw will help pull out
some dry stuff. Common nails or pieces of wire coat hangers, tend to
rust.

Eventually, it dry's and hardens - trash.

Oren
excused from saving Universes."

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

LPV wrote:
Does anyone have any tips on how to keep the caulk in the tip of an
opened cartridge from drying out/hardening?

Thanks!

Loren

I just usually use some plastic wrap and keep a large nail handy if
that fails

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

ert

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

"LPV" wrote in message
Does anyone have any tips on how to keep the caulk in the tip of an opened
cartridge from drying out/hardening?

Thanks!

Loren

Insert a fat nail, long enough to reach all the way into the supply tube. As
Mark said, leave enough nail sticking out so you can grab it easily. Then,
cover with a few layers of plastic wrap and a couple of rubber bands. Store
with the spout up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I use wire caps. I use the ones sized for 3 conductors. It screws
right onto the top of the tube and provides a tight air tight seal.
When you need it again, just unscrew the cap.

Posted to alt.home.repair
LPV

Thanks, everybody, for your great suggestions about how to seal an open
cartridge.

After reading many of them, I had the all-to-familiar "why didn't I think of
that" reaction.

Thanks again!

Loren

Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon

Doug Kanter wrote:
"LPV" wrote in message

Does anyone have any tips on how to keep the caulk in the tip of an opened
cartridge from drying out/hardening?

Thanks!

Loren

Insert a fat nail, long enough to reach all the way into the supply tube. As
Mark said, leave enough nail sticking out so you can grab it easily. Then,
cover with a few layers of plastic wrap and a couple of rubber bands. Store
with the spout up.

Exactly, but don't forget to cover the large end
with plastic wrap and a couple of rubber bands
also. Depending on storage it will remain ok for
a couple of years. I have used one tube off and
on for over 3 years (a little here a little there
and a little touch up paint).

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message ...

"LPV" wrote in message
Does anyone have any tips on how to keep the caulk in the tip of an opened
cartridge from drying out/hardening?

Thanks!

Loren

Insert a fat nail, long enough to reach all the way into the supply tube. As
Mark said, leave enough nail sticking out so you can grab it easily. Then,
cover with a few layers of plastic wrap and a couple of rubber bands. Store
with the spout up.

The nail or deck screw allows you to pull out the hardening plug of caulk. Just
grab it with your vise, and pull like crazy on the cartridge.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207

Does anyone have any tips on how to keep the caulk in the tip of an opened
cartridge from drying out/hardening?

Thanks!

Loren

Yes, shove a large (#10 or if the tip on the cartridge is cut smaller,
us a #8)

long (3" min) phillips head stainless steel sheet metal screw

into the cartridge.

The caulk willing slowly dry / cure (that's what caulk does) but you
can either pull the screw out if caulk has not dried completely

If the dried caulk prevents pulling the screw, use a drill/driver to
un-screw it.

Using staiinless will prevent rust stains in the caulk.

Save the screw for reuse.

cheers
Bob