Posted to alt.home.repair
the_crowbar

Default New GE Washer Starts/Stops on Spin Cycle

Greetings,

After a couple of days of internet searching, I have no answer, and
decided to ask here. I have a new style GE washing machine (plastic
tub). Recently the spin cycle has broken. When I looked at the machine
it appears that the spin cycle will start and then the motor cuts off
and back on continuously. The washer will fill with water and drain
without a problem. Even with the water drained the spin cycle won't
run. The main motor turns a couple of times and then starts and stops.
Any idea what may be the cause?

Thanks,
James

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

"the_crowbar" wrote in message
oups.com...
Greetings,

After a couple of days of internet searching, I have no answer, and
decided to ask here. I have a new style GE washing machine (plastic
tub). Recently the spin cycle has broken. When I looked at the machine
it appears that the spin cycle will start and then the motor cuts off
and back on continuously. The washer will fill with water and drain
without a problem. Even with the water drained the spin cycle won't
run. The main motor turns a couple of times and then starts and stops.
Any idea what may be the cause?

Thanks,
James

New? Still under warranty? If yes, why not just pick up the phone?

Posted to alt.home.repair
the_crowbar

New? Still under warranty? If yes, why not just pick up the phone?

More "New to me". I bought this used about a year ago, but it sat in
storage for most of that time. It looks like it is brand new, but I do
not know the exact age.

Thanks,
James

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

"the_crowbar" wrote in message
ups.com...
New? Still under warranty? If yes, why not just pick up the phone?

More "New to me". I bought this used about a year ago, but it sat in
storage for most of that time. It looks like it is brand new, but I do
not know the exact age.

Thanks,
James

Check your library for appliance repair manuals. If no luck, call a few
appliance parts places. Some company puts out a nice series of books. Before
buying the book, call GE. As recently as 10 years ago, they had phone people
designated for helping do-it-yourselfers, and they were VERY helpful when I
called them. If that service still exists, get the book, and you should be
able to diagnose & fix the thing yourself.

Posted to alt.home.repair
stevie

one thing to check would be the door switch.

if you open the door, the spin cycle should stop immediately. if the switch
has a short, or might be dirty, it might cause the spin cycle to go on/off
intermittently. try wd40 as a quick fix on the switch.
"the_crowbar" wrote in message
oups.com...
Greetings,

After a couple of days of internet searching, I have no answer, and
decided to ask here. I have a new style GE washing machine (plastic
tub). Recently the spin cycle has broken. When I looked at the machine
it appears that the spin cycle will start and then the motor cuts off
and back on continuously. The washer will fill with water and drain
without a problem. Even with the water drained the spin cycle won't
run. The main motor turns a couple of times and then starts and stops.
Any idea what may be the cause?

Thanks,
James

Posted to alt.home.repair
the_crowbar

Stevie,

Thanks for the tip, but I don't think that is the cause. This machine
has a magnetic lid switch so I don't think I can clean it. Neither the
sensor or the magnet is loose. If I lift the lid while the machine is
filling it stops immediatley, so I guess the sensor is working ok.

Thanks,
James