Posted to alt.home.repair
James R. Lunsford

Default Bathtub refinishing - DIY?

Got a tub that's going downhill quickly. Looks like previous owner just
painted it, and now the paint is peeling and chipping and I don't want my
wife and kids getting out of the tub with paint chips all over them.

Googled a couple of sites that offer DIY kits, does anyone have any
experience with these?

Any recommendations?

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair
jdk

James R. Lunsford wrote:
Got a tub that's going downhill quickly. Looks like previous owner just
painted it, and now the paint is peeling and chipping and I don't want my
wife and kids getting out of the tub with paint chips all over them.

Googled a couple of sites that offer DIY kits, does anyone have any
experience with these?

Any recommendations?

TIA

get a pro, that is what i did. it will last 5 to 7 years. can not use
bleach to clean. i think they put a electric charge on tub when the
spray. this is a stop gap way till you rip the tub out. my tub looks
great for the last 4 years. told to use 409 to clean it. i think it cost
me between 300 to 400 dollars.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Everyplace that I have read this it doesn't work for very long. Just
get a new tub and be done with it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Another option...
Home Depot sells a entire enclosure. It gets fitted over
the walls and tub. Looks pretty crappy but again it
depends what you want to do.

If I owned the house I would just rip out the old tub and
put another cast iron one in. Retile the walls and some
new plumbing. If done right it'll last a real long time.

Tom

(pretty cheezy IMHO)

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

James R. Lunsford wrote:
Got a tub that's going downhill quickly. Looks like previous owner
just painted it, and now the paint is peeling and chipping and I
don't want my wife and kids getting out of the tub with paint chips
all over them.
Googled a couple of sites that offer DIY kits, does anyone have any
experience with these?

Any recommendations?

TIA

For best results and longest life replace the tub. For good results and
reasonable life, have it done professionally, for less than ideal results
and short life, do it yourself making 100% sure you don't skimp the prep
work in any way.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
old_Boat

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
m...
James R. Lunsford wrote:
Got a tub that's going downhill quickly. Looks like previous owner
just painted it, and now the paint is peeling and chipping and I
don't want my wife and kids getting out of the tub with paint chips
all over them.
Googled a couple of sites that offer DIY kits, does anyone have any
experience with these?

Any recommendations?

TIA

For best results and longest life replace the tub. For good results
and reasonable life, have it done professionally, for less than ideal
results and short life, do it yourself making 100% sure you don't skimp
the prep work in any way.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Did mine about 7 years ago with the DIY kit from Lowes. It is starting to
peel. The Prep is the key. Follow the directions to the T. 7 Years is good
for this type of repair. I just had another one done by the Miracle Method.
They sprayed it and so far it looks real nice. It was a green tub to start
with. They also told us not bleach and to clean it with 409. You will have
to make your own decision as to what and how much you want to spend at this
point.

LJ

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

old_Boat wrote:

Did mine about 7 years ago with the DIY kit from Lowes. It is
starting to peel. The Prep is the key.

It appears you did a good job. Congratulations.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

you could get bathfitters where they recover the tub and surround. a
friend did that it turned out nice.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik

"old_Boat" wrote in
m:

James R. Lunsford wrote:
[...]

The Question is;can the Miracle pros take a tub that's already been
"refinished" by an amateur(and peeling) and properly redo it?

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

"James R. Lunsford" in

Got a tub that's going downhill quickly. Looks like previous owner
just painted it, and now the paint is peeling and chipping and I don't
want my wife and kids getting out of the tub with paint chips all over
them.

Googled a couple of sites that offer DIY kits, does anyone have any
experience with these?

Any recommendations?

TIA

i assume no one would do this unless the tub was sheet steel or fiberglas?

cast iron shouldn't need 'refinishing'. but some day i want to try polishing one that has
become dull on the walking areas (which makes the tub difficult to clean well).

Posted to alt.home.repair
old_Boat

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
.. .
"old_Boat" wrote in
m:

James R. Lunsford wrote:
[...]

Yes but they told me that it would cost a lot more ( almost double) because
they have to remove the DIY refinishing first. At this point, it may be
worth it to replace it.

LJ

Whats involved w/ replacing bathtub? Nobody Home Ownership 3 April 1st 05 06:32 PM
Need ideas on grouting bathtub [email protected] Home Ownership 0 March 29th 05 02:18 AM
Bathtub leak Doug Home Repair 5 March 7th 05 08:49 PM
Lead exposure from old bathtub - refinishing? [email protected] Home Repair 18 October 14th 04 12:55 AM
need bathtub drain repair advice B Home Repair 2 August 2nd 03 12:24 AM