Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replacement Windows

Hello group,

In the next 4-6 weeks I will be looking to replace the windows in my
standard 3br 40 yr old brick rancher.

I will be contacting local installers and intend to get a minimum of 3
estimates.

Any experiences and advice on make or mfg'r of windows will be greatl
appreciated.

Thanks,

VV

Posted to alt.home.repair
ccs>ikyr

If you give a bit more detail, you're likely to get more advice. What
kind of windows do you want (double hung, casement, slider, etc.)? Do
you want vinyl or wood (or wood with cladding)? Does color matter, or
can you live with the standard white? What part of the country do you
live in?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mid-Atlantic, 2 1/2 hrs from ocean, double-hung/double-pane, never want
to touch them with a paintbrush, white is fine.

I was really looking for any red flags in the replacement window
business from the consumers pov.

Thanks for responding.

VV

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

Windows are not made equal, read an old Consumers Reports article
testing 20+ windows. I had Pellas and Anderson installed the Pellas
condense the Andersons dont. Look At CDF Condensing factor ratings, Also
most major companies allow a 1/8th" maximum for plumb , level and
square, be sure to verify before you pay because if you are 1/8th" or
more out you have no warranty from day1.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I bought lifetime guaranteed windows, for as long as I own my home. The
installer Swingline Windows of Pittsburgh Pa stressed to always call
them, never reynolds the window manufacturer.

well reynolds went out of business

My lifetime warranty became 10 year full warranty, then 10 years pro
rata declining 10% a year

At 10 years I needed a couple fogged windows replaced

Swingline ignored my repeated calls for 6 months.

My BIG problem was these windows were to the front of house and I have
4 dogs. So it was a security issue. Had to board up windows, took units
to pittsburgh window and door. less than a 100 bucks fixed the problem.
hassle was boarding up windows.

swingline isnt going to like me at the coming home show, I will
embarass them when their booth is nice and busy. might even set up a
website dedicated to their poor custonmer service.

i wouldnt of minded paying for the glass or a service charge, again
dogs were problem, couldnt leave them locked in basement all day.

lifetime warranties are smoke and mirrors.

i would of replaced the glass myself but the screws were rusted in
place, window company didnt break anything

Posted to alt.home.repair
ccs>ikyr

There are two old Consumer Reports articles on windows quality.. Also
check with the local service ratings at http://www.checkbook.org, it's
worth the subscription. Stay away from "Renewal by Anderson". They'll
charge you as much for a plastic window as you would pay for a good
wood one.

Good luck and post things as you learn them. Also, check out old
threads on this topic, there are scads of them.