Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

Default OT, shifting race cars

OT, but I've wondered about this for a long time.

In Indianapolis-style cars, like at the Indy 500, do the drivers have
to shift gears for each lap? How many times? Do they up-shift for
every short stretch or only the long stretches?

What about NASCAR cars on their tracks?

And Formula-1?

I watch these races on tv, have watched Indy off and on since 1957,
and I never hear them say anything about this.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Larry Bud

mm wrote:
OT, but I've wondered about this for a long time.

In Indianapolis-style cars, like at the Indy 500, do the drivers have
to shift gears for each lap? How many times? Do they up-shift for
every short stretch or only the long stretches?

On oval tracks they generally don't have to shift once they get to
speed.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller

In article , (DT) wrote:

Well, as an ex-driver, I can help a bit. I don't know about Indy cars, I
suspect they only shift a few times, perhaps one gear on each
straightaway since the speed is fairly constant around the course.There are no
'short stretches' at Indianapolis.

Appears you don't know anything about the track either: the straights between
turns 1 and 2, and between 3 and 4, are *considerably* shorter than the main
straight and the backstretch. There's a photo showing this pretty clearly on
the IMS website:
http://www.indianapolismotorspeedway.com/history/

Speed is not "fairly constant" either. They slow down a good bit for the turns
(though not nearly as much as they used to, before the development of the
ground-effects chassis).

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

Small production cars at Lime Rock- 4th to 3rd at the end of the main
straight, 3rd to 4th coming out of the esses, until checkered. All done
manually, of course.

F1s have a variety of servos such that you just toggle up or down a
gear at a time. Throttle is fly-by-wire, and control is integrated into
the above.

Mark Donohue was a master at determining gear ratios for endurance
racers to minimize gear changes. Keeps engine under load higher % of
time- goes faster.

Posted to alt.home.repair
DT

Appears you don't know anything about the track either: the straights between
turns 1 and 2, and between 3 and 4, are *considerably* shorter than the main
straight and the backstretch. There's a photo showing this pretty clearly on
the IMS website:
http://www.indianapolismotorspeedway.com/history/

Speed is not "fairly constant" either. They slow down a good bit for the turns
(though not nearly as much as they used to, before the development of the
ground-effects chassis).

--
Regards,
Doug Miller

Thanks, Doug, guess there is a small straight at the ends :-) I never paid much
attention to oval tracks. As for the "fairly constant", yes, I realize that
isn't really correct, but relatively so compared to a 3 or 4 to 1 ratio between
the low and high speeds on a road course. Hey, it's only been 30 years since I
hung up the ol' driver's suit!

So, back to the original question, how many gears do the Indy cars use? If they
hit 220 (?) on the straight, what do they do in the corners?

Dennis

Posted to alt.home.repair
calhoun

It is not so much the cars as the track. NASCAR, on ovals don't shift once
they are up to speed but on road courses they may shift as many as 16times
per lap.
NASCAR still uses the old H pattern shifters where the Indy cars use a
sequential style (like motorcycle).