Posted to alt.home.repair
DT

Default OT, shifting race cars

Appears you don't know anything about the track either: the straights between
turns 1 and 2, and between 3 and 4, are *considerably* shorter than the main
straight and the backstretch. There's a photo showing this pretty clearly on
the IMS website:
http://www.indianapolismotorspeedway.com/history/

Speed is not "fairly constant" either. They slow down a good bit for the turns
(though not nearly as much as they used to, before the development of the
ground-effects chassis).

--
Regards,
Doug Miller

Thanks, Doug, guess there is a small straight at the ends :-) I never paid much
attention to oval tracks. As for the "fairly constant", yes, I realize that
isn't really correct, but relatively so compared to a 3 or 4 to 1 ratio between
the low and high speeds on a road course. Hey, it's only been 30 years since I
hung up the ol' driver's suit!

So, back to the original question, how many gears do the Indy cars use? If they
hit 220 (?) on the straight, what do they do in the corners?

Dennis