Posted to alt.home.repair
calhoun

Default OT, shifting race cars

It is not so much the cars as the track. NASCAR, on ovals don't shift once
they are up to speed but on road courses they may shift as many as 16times
per lap.
NASCAR still uses the old H pattern shifters where the Indy cars use a
sequential style (like motorcycle).

"mm" wrote in message
OT, but I've wondered about this for a long time.

In Indianapolis-style cars, like at the Indy 500, do the drivers have
to shift gears for each lap? How many times? Do they up-shift for
every short stretch or only the long stretches?

What about NASCAR cars on their tracks?

And Formula-1?

I watch these races on tv, have watched Indy off and on since 1957,
and I never hear them say anything about this.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.