Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller

Default OT, shifting race cars

In article , (DT) wrote:

Well, as an ex-driver, I can help a bit. I don't know about Indy cars, I
suspect they only shift a few times, perhaps one gear on each
straightaway since the speed is fairly constant around the course.There are no
'short stretches' at Indianapolis.

Appears you don't know anything about the track either: the straights between
turns 1 and 2, and between 3 and 4, are *considerably* shorter than the main
straight and the backstretch. There's a photo showing this pretty clearly on
the IMS website:
http://www.indianapolismotorspeedway.com/history/

Speed is not "fairly constant" either. They slow down a good bit for the turns
(though not nearly as much as they used to, before the development of the
ground-effects chassis).

--
Regards,