Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair
David D.

Default Diagnosing sluggish toilet flush

I am trying to diagnose a sluggish toilet flush. I want to determine
whether it is the toilet, the stack drain or the vent.

I have four toilets in the house (three on the second floor), and this is
the only toilet that has a problem. This is one of the second-floor
toilets. It is an older 5-gallon toilet.

If I flush the toilet, I get a strong water flow into the bowl, a strong
swirl, and a strong whirlpool. But no siphoning. The water level in the
bowl remains high throughout the flush. When the flush valve closes, the
swirling stops, and the water remains at that level, instead of emptying the
bowl through siphon action.

If I keep pouring buckets of hot water into the bowl, one after the other,
two bucketsful siphon empty, but every third bucketful leaves water in the
bowl (at the normal, neutral level). The fourth bucketful drains empty
again.

Fishing with a toilet snake, I cannot find any blockage in the trapway. I
have not tried removing the toilet to fish from the bottom (that is a last
resort).

What are your thoughts?

- David

intermittent weak flush on toilet Timo Home Repair 5 August 31st 05 01:40 PM
increasing the force of a flush in a toilet Eric and Megan Swope Home Repair 13 May 7th 05 03:48 AM
Lazy toilet flush tflfb Home Repair 2 July 8th 04 01:53 AM
toilet makes other toilet flush Spitfire 1500 Home Repair 3 June 7th 04 03:28 AM
Power Flush toilet problems William Lee Home Repair 1 December 25th 03 11:23 PM