Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dishwasher drain length

Hi,

I'm building a new home, and the builder just called to let me know his
plaumber had told him that my dishwasher was too far from the kitchen
skinks drain vavle.

I know the length most dishwashers come with is around 2 meters. My
dishwasher is going to be just over 3 meters from the dishwasher.

If the dishwashers pump's aren't designed to pump water tgis far, isn't
it as simple as extenting the plumbing under the sink to a bit closer
to the dishwasher?? I'm confused as to what restrictions apply here.
The other option is to have the dishwasher on either side of a corner,
means 2 doors will be blocked ehwn the diswasher door is open. I'd
like to avoid this option but i don't want to be left with a dishwasher
that can't drain..

Any help would be welcome.

Mike

Posted to alt.home.repair
SJF

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Unless it would be unsightly, you could probably use the longer hose. The
washer will still pump out the water but it may take just a little longer
(no more than 20%) because of the extra hydraulic friction due to the 50%
longer hose. That should not be a problem but you could check the function
of the machine by filling the tub and going through the pumpout cycle. What
you'll probably find is that the machine will pump out all the water and
then continue the pump operation for a while until the timer starts the next
cycle.

I've had two machines that pumped too fast for a poor drain pipe and
overflowed the drain. I put flow restricters in the hose to slow the
discharge with no ill effects.

Adverse effects on the pump and motor? No! Centrifugal pumps reduce the
load on the motor when the flow rate is throttled.

But since you're currently building a new house, a plumbing adaptation might
be a better long range solution. Also, there may be building code
considerations.

SJF

Posted to alt.home.repair
SJF

"SJF" wrote in message
wrote in message
[...]

Oops! I misread the original post and read "washing machine" where it said
"dishwasher". But it's a similar situation except that you wouldn't be
filling the tub to run a test.

SJF

Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon

wrote:
[...]

The distance isn't going to make much difference,
the big pump load is to move the water above the
drain point (to avoid siphoning). Many
dishwashers conveniently connect to the garbage
disposal. However they don't need to and you
could simply extend the kitchen drain toward the
dishwasher as you suggested. All you need to do
is be sure you have a trap downstream of the
dishwasher outflow. If you extension is below the
kitchen sink trap then you need to add a trap in
the line you extend for the dishwasher. By the
way "what is a kitchen sink drain valve?" I
presume you mean the drain trap since there are
normally no valves in a drain.
Posted to alt.home.repair
SQLit

wrote in message
[...]

What does the manufacture of the dishwasher say about the drain hose?
Specifically size and distance.

Your builder certainly is not coordinating much.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mike & Ched

George,

By valve I mean the nozzle that you clamb the hose to on the plumbing
under the sink. I think it's called an S-Bend over here (I'm from
Down-under).

SQLit,

I don't own a dishwasher yet. I just checked the specs on one
candidate machine and it offers extenions up to 3.6m above the 2.2m
spec. But it also has contrainsts on the installation:
http://www.fisherpaykel.com/pdf_inst...tall_NZGBw.pdf

Page 4 of above shows the installation method, so I think the 5.8m is
really enough to go the distance.

But this dishwasher is the most expensive candidate. The other one is
a whirlpool but there are no lonks to it's spec.

I guess the builder is trying to avoid having to bear the cost of
extending the plumbing.

Mike

Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

who: your architect or your plumber and a carpenter
what: need to confer.
whe to extend the 1-1/2" drain line and a required vent line to the
roof.
when: preferably before the walls are up during plumbing rough-in or
sooner.
why: to meet code requirements and dishwasher specifications.
how: with your money.

Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

here's pdf link to oatey for a sure-vent if your walls are up this may
be permitted find out:
http://www.oatey.com/apps/catalog/in...tion_Sheet.pdf

Posted to alt.home.repair

George E. Cawthon wrote:
wrote:
[...]

I think this is correct. Most dishwashers are installed with a simple
high loop, where the hose is routed up to the underside of the counter
after it leaves the dishwasher. From there, it's all downhill to the
drain. So the real work done by the pump is to lift the water up to
the bottom of the counter, regardless of the length of hose run, unless
it was extremely long. 3 meters will be a piece of cake!