Posted to alt.home.repair
SJF

Default Dishwasher drain length

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I'm building a new home, and the builder just called to let me know his
plaumber had told him that my dishwasher was too far from the kitchen
skinks drain vavle.

I know the length most dishwashers come with is around 2 meters. My
dishwasher is going to be just over 3 meters from the dishwasher.

If the dishwashers pump's aren't designed to pump water tgis far, isn't
it as simple as extenting the plumbing under the sink to a bit closer
to the dishwasher?? I'm confused as to what restrictions apply here.
The other option is to have the dishwasher on either side of a corner,
means 2 doors will be blocked ehwn the diswasher door is open. I'd
like to avoid this option but i don't want to be left with a dishwasher
that can't drain..

Any help would be welcome.

Mike

Unless it would be unsightly, you could probably use the longer hose. The
washer will still pump out the water but it may take just a little longer
(no more than 20%) because of the extra hydraulic friction due to the 50%
longer hose. That should not be a problem but you could check the function
of the machine by filling the tub and going through the pumpout cycle. What
you'll probably find is that the machine will pump out all the water and
then continue the pump operation for a while until the timer starts the next
cycle.

I've had two machines that pumped too fast for a poor drain pipe and
overflowed the drain. I put flow restricters in the hose to slow the
discharge with no ill effects.

Adverse effects on the pump and motor? No! Centrifugal pumps reduce the
load on the motor when the flow rate is throttled.

But since you're currently building a new house, a plumbing adaptation might
be a better long range solution. Also, there may be building code
considerations.

SJF