Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

Default Leak somewhere around chimney, ? repair techniques?

what a problem....
we have a two flue brick chimney about 15ft by 4ft, 4 to 7 ft high, on a
downward sloping shingled roof
metal flashing is at base of chimney from brick into shingles
Problem:
heavy rains results in water drips at lower end of chimney coming
through wood roof boards.
So far I have had roofers reseal the metal flashing 3 different times.

The brick chimney has been rechinked (by me) several years ago in a
nonprofessional way by stuffing cement into mortared spaces between bricks.
Some of this has come out but I am not certain this ever fixed problem

Does anyone have suggestions on techniques or tradesmen to hire out and
repair this problem?
I have tried to find someone to rechink the chimney without luck

Any suggestions on techniques will be apreciated.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Bob wrote:
[...]

Check the yellow pages for a chimney sweep. Ask them for the name of
someone to do the work if they don't do it.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
John Willis

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 16:45:36 -0800, Bob scribbled
this interesting note:

what a problem....
we have a two flue brick chimney about 15ft by 4ft, 4 to 7 ft high, on a
downward sloping shingled roof
metal flashing is at base of chimney from brick into shingles
Problem:
heavy rains results in water drips at lower end of chimney coming
through wood roof boards.
So far I have had roofers reseal the metal flashing 3 different times.

The brick chimney has been rechinked (by me) several years ago in a
nonprofessional way by stuffing cement into mortared spaces between bricks.
Some of this has come out but I am not certain this ever fixed problem

Does anyone have suggestions on techniques or tradesmen to hire out and
repair this problem?
I have tried to find someone to rechink the chimney without luck

Any suggestions on techniques will be apreciated.

If the step flashings were not done correctly (those are the ones on
the sides of the chimney) no amount of resealing will fix the problem
for long, and may, in fact, make it worse.

Find someone who is a good roofer. That is the first step to getting
this problem fixed. A good roofer will, most likely, tell you the
shingles around the chimney need to be taken up, and new step
flashings installed. Done correctly, this will last longer than your
roof will. Done incorrectly (as it is now), this will cause nothing be
problems.

Good luck!

--
John Willis

(Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)
Posted to alt.home.repair
BP

"John Willis" wrote in message
[...]

I agree. There is no worse solution, or evidence of a roofer-hack, than the
can of roofing cement.
Keep in mind: the step flashings go under each course of the roof shingles,
bent up to lay against the chimney brick. These divert roof water from the
chimney opening. The lead flashing that is pointed into the brick on the
chimney is lapped logically to shed water downhill and is folded over the
step flashings. These divert water from the chimney onto the roof. The
tricky part is the corners. Takes a little experience, a little talent to
get that right. Get it wrong, get a leak.
2 flashing systems. No tar. No caulking.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

BP wrote:

There is no worse solution, or evidence of a roofer-hack, than the
can of roofing cement.

2 flashing systems. No tar. No caulking.

Right on, bro!
Interesting name for a roofing company: No Tar No Caulk No Leak
Roofing
I'd hire 'em.