Posted to alt.home.repair
blueman

Default 2 circuits feeding one outlet box.

I have a 2-gang outlet box in my basement.
I would like to feed it with two circuits.
- One dedicated circuit for a refrigerator/freezer (with no GFI)
- One shared cirucit for use as a general outlet (with GFI
protection either in the outlet box or upstream)

I have a couple of questions:
1. Is there any problem with feeding a 2-gang outlet box from two
different 20A circuits? Is there any special labelling required?

2. According to code, can I run a normal size refrigerator and a small
standalone freezer on the *same* 20A circuit?
(from a power consumption perspective it seems that even the
combined load of both would be less than 75% of the 20A breaker)

Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

I've seen it done a lot, so I don't think there's anything in the code about
it. Maybe another poster knows. I've also seen where the same duplex
receptacle is on two circuits. I don't know if it's code, but most duplex
receptacles have a tab you can break off between the top and bottom. If
you're going to be pulling about 15 amps on a 20 amp breaker, you might want
to split that load also.

"blueman" wrote in message
I have a 2-gang outlet box in my basement.
I would like to feed it with two circuits.
- One dedicated circuit for a refrigerator/freezer (with no GFI)
- One shared cirucit for use as a general outlet (with GFI
protection either in the outlet box or upstream)

I have a couple of questions:
1. Is there any problem with feeding a 2-gang outlet box from two
different 20A circuits? Is there any special labelling required?

2. According to code, can I run a normal size refrigerator and a small
standalone freezer on the *same* 20A circuit?
(from a power consumption perspective it seems that even the
combined load of both would be less than 75% of the 20A breaker)

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

There is nothing wrong with your plan. The GFCI would be required for the
general purpose outlet if it's in an "unfinished" part of the basement

"blueman" wrote in message
I have a 2-gang outlet box in my basement.
I would like to feed it with two circuits.
- One dedicated circuit for a refrigerator/freezer (with no GFI)
- One shared cirucit for use as a general outlet (with GFI
protection either in the outlet box or upstream)

I have a couple of questions:
1. Is there any problem with feeding a 2-gang outlet box from two
different 20A circuits? Is there any special labelling required?

2. According to code, can I run a normal size refrigerator and a small
standalone freezer on the *same* 20A circuit?
(from a power consumption perspective it seems that even the
combined load of both would be less than 75% of the 20A breaker)

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair
Calvin Henry-Cotnam

Bob ) said...

I've seen it done a lot, so I don't think there's anything in the code about
it. Maybe another poster knows. I've also seen where the same duplex
receptacle is on two circuits. I don't know if it's code, but most duplex
receptacles have a tab you can break off between the top and bottom. If
you're going to be pulling about 15 amps on a 20 amp breaker, you might want
to split that load also.

That is called a "split" outlet, but it is not powered by TWO circuits,
it is powered by a ONE double pole circuit. The circuit would use 14/3
(for 15 A) or 12/3 (for 20 A) cable providing a neutral that is common
to both halves of the outlet, while the other two conductors (red and
black) each connect to a different line from the double-pole breaker.

The original poster asked about having two outlets in the same ganged
box and powering them from separate circuits. I prefer to avoid this,
but occasionally it is not possible, especially in retro work. I have a
light switch location that originally had a single switch that I have
since added a second switch that happens to be on a different circut.

It is common practice in commercial installations to clearly label any
box where power comes from more than one source with that information
(eg: "CAUTION: this box powered from multiple locations - breaker 14 and
17").

In residential installations where this has had to occur, I have never
had a problem with inspectors, and none have ever required labelling, but
I prefer to put a label (usually on the inside of the cover plate), just
in case any future work is not done by myself.

Regardless, whenever you have to work in an electrical box, make sure
ALL conductors have their power cut off (not just the conductors you
plan to work on!).

--
Calvin Henry-Cotnam
- Napoleon

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 07:19:00 -0500, "RBM" rbm2(remove
wrote:

There is nothing wrong with your plan. The GFCI would be required for the
general purpose outlet if it's in an "unfinished" part of the basement

And label the outlet that has GFCI protection (if the GFCI is upstream
so this is not obvious).

"blueman" wrote in message
I have a 2-gang outlet box in my basement.
I would like to feed it with two circuits.
- One dedicated circuit for a refrigerator/freezer (with no GFI)
- One shared cirucit for use as a general outlet (with GFI
protection either in the outlet box or upstream)

I have a couple of questions:
1. Is there any problem with feeding a 2-gang outlet box from two
different 20A circuits? Is there any special labelling required?

2. According to code, can I run a normal size refrigerator and a small
standalone freezer on the *same* 20A circuit?
(from a power consumption perspective it seems that even the
combined load of both would be less than 75% of the 20A breaker)

Thanks

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
Chris Lewis

According to Calvin Henry-Cotnam :

[ multiple circuits feeding a single outlet box.]

In residential installations where this has had to occur, I have never
had a problem with inspectors, and none have ever required labelling, but
I prefer to put a label (usually on the inside of the cover plate), just
in case any future work is not done by myself.

Odd.

I thought the CEC and Knight are pretty explicit about _requiring_ that
every box must be completely deenergizable by one disconnect (other than the
main of course ;-) There were some ways you could get around this, eg:

- metal barriers between the sections
- locking the boxes or area so they're not accessible by
"unauthorized persons".

This is why, for example, the main and branch breaker sections of
residential panels are internally segregated by metal, and usually
have separate covers.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
Posted to alt.home.repair
Calvin Henry-Cotnam

Chris Lewis ) said...

According to Calvin Henry-Cotnam :

[ multiple circuits feeding a single outlet box.]

In residential installations where this has had to occur, I have never
had a problem with inspectors, and none have ever required labelling, but
I prefer to put a label (usually on the inside of the cover plate), just
in case any future work is not done by myself.

Odd.

I thought the CEC and Knight are pretty explicit about _requiring_ that
every box must be completely deenergizable by one disconnect (other than the
main of course ;-) There were some ways you could get around this, eg:

- metal barriers between the sections
- locking the boxes or area so they're not accessible by
"unauthorized persons".

Well, the code changes to the CEC 1994 explicitly allow two circiuts
on opposite poles that share a neutral to be powered by separate single
pole breakers. In other words, it would be possible to deenergize only
part of some boxes down the line.

I attended a new code seminar back then and the inspector running the
presentation discussed this to the surprise of many of the attendees.
He had to explicitly mention about being careful when circuits are on
mini/half-size breakers as it is not always clear which pole they are
supplied from.

I recall at the time the condo where I live had a few circuits wired
that way, though it was built in 1988-9. This was a code violation when
it was built, but became legal with this change in 1994.

This is why, for example, the main and branch breaker sections of
residential panels are internally segregated by metal, and usually
have separate covers.

It is one reason. Another reason, though less common these days, is that
the main section sometimes is sealed by the utility. Some utilities provide
flat-rate water heaters that must be supplied by a pair of 12 or 10 gauge
conductors that are fed from ahead of the meter. Connections to this is
made in the mains section that is later sealed.

That said, it is best to label it if it cannot be fully separated.

--
Calvin Henry-Cotnam
- Napoleon
NOTE: if replying by email, remove "remove." and ".invalid"

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tekkie®

blueman posted for all of us...
I don't top post - see either inline or at bottom.

I have a 2-gang outlet box in my basement.
I would like to feed it with two circuits.
- One dedicated circuit for a refrigerator/freezer (with no GFI)
- One shared cirucit for use as a general outlet (with GFI
protection either in the outlet box or upstream)

I have a couple of questions:
1. Is there any problem with feeding a 2-gang outlet box from two
different 20A circuits? Is there any special labelling required?

2. According to code, can I run a normal size refrigerator and a small
standalone freezer on the *same* 20A circuit?
(from a power consumption perspective it seems that even the
combined load of both would be less than 75% of the 20A breaker)

Thanks

I see my pal Jeffey is do not doing any research before he belches out his
often answered questions. He is a bipolar troll. He will do what he damn well
pleases so just killfike him.
--
My boss said I was dumb and apathetic.
I said I don't know and I don't care...

Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair
Chris Lewis

According to Calvin Henry-Cotnam :
Chris Lewis ) said...

Odd.

I thought the CEC and Knight are pretty explicit about _requiring_ that
every box must be completely deenergizable by one disconnect (other than the
main of course ;-) There were some ways you could get around this, eg:

- metal barriers between the sections
- locking the boxes or area so they're not accessible by
"unauthorized persons".

Well, the code changes to the CEC 1994 explicitly allow two circiuts
on opposite poles that share a neutral to be powered by separate single
pole breakers. In other words, it would be possible to deenergize only
part of some boxes down the line.

"share a neutral". What if they don't?

Or if they're on the same outlet (multiwire branch).
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est