Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 1929 gasoline powered Maytag washing machine..

I remember those types of washers in the 1950's. I actually have an engine from one that has a
pedal start. I just need to get another ignition coil for it but that coil is extremely hard to come by.
I'm a Tech so maybe I'll actually try to get it running some day.

Mech_Tech

Marine/Motorcycle

Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

http://www.depts.ttu.edu/museumttu/H...cts.htm#Maytag
gasoline-powered washing machine

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 11:14:44 GMT, wrote:

I remember those types of washers in the 1950's. I actually have an engine from one that has a
pedal start. I just need to get another ignition coil for it but that coil is extremely hard to come by.
I'm a Tech so maybe I'll actually try to get it running some day.

Mech_Tech

Marine/Motorcycle

You better make that "some day" real soon. At the rate we're going
either there wont be any more gas, or you'll be paying up the ass for
it.

Why cant you use a regular automotive coil? They all do about the
same thing, and a homemade bracket should not be hard to make. I have
never seen one of these engines so there may be some special
something...

Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair
Big Al

wrote in message
On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 11:14:44 GMT, wrote:

I remember those types of washers in the 1950's. I actually have an

engine from one that has a
pedal start. I just need to get another ignition coil for it but that

coil is extremely hard to come by.
I'm a Tech so maybe I'll actually try to get it running some day.

Mech_Tech

Marine/Motorcycle

You better make that "some day" real soon. At the rate we're going
either there wont be any more gas, or you'll be paying up the ass for
it.

Why cant you use a regular automotive coil? They all do about the
same thing, and a homemade bracket should not be hard to make. I have
never seen one of these engines so there may be some special
something...

Mark

I have a two cylinder Maytag engine and a friend of mine also has one

Al

Posted to alt.home.repair
WConner

I have a two cylinder Maytag engine and a friend of mine also has one

Have seen lots of these but never had one. One of my first adventures
working on small engines was to tie down the governor in a Maytag single and
make a "butter fly" throttle control that I placed in a rounded out place
between the carb and block mount. Worked but no practical purpose for it,
guess I might have made a motor bike with it but didn't have the money. I
was about 13 - 14 at the time.

Walt Conner

Posted to alt.home.repair
Big Al

"WConner" wrote in message

I have a two cylinder Maytag engine and a friend of mine also has one

Have seen lots of these but never had one. One of my first adventures
working on small engines was to tie down the governor in a Maytag single

and
make a "butter fly" throttle control that I placed in a rounded out place
between the carb and block mount. Worked but no practical purpose for it,
guess I might have made a motor bike with it but didn't have the money. I
was about 13 - 14 at the time.

Walt Conner

Walt,

I'm a reading tutor at a local middle school. One of the books for simple
readers is about old motorcycles. One of the pictures shows a very old
motorcycle, according to the caption under the picture. It's actually a
bicycle with a one lumg Maytag engine. The fuel tank is brass and it has a
belt drive with a hand operated idler to tighten the belt. The rear pulley
is a slightly smaller wheel attached to the regular rear wheel with some "Z"
brackets. The interesting thing is someone has installed a large drip oiler
into the crankcase. I'm assuming this was so you would not have to add oil
to the gas.

Al

Posted to alt.home.repair
WConner

It's actually abicycle with a one lumg Maytag engine.

Interesting, I actually had a motorbike with a little B&S washing machine
engine on it and NO clutch, had it about a week.

Walt Conner

Trivia question old Maytag washing machine MikeremlaP Home Repair 1 January 26th 05 06:04 AM
HW feed to washing machine? a UK diy 7 January 7th 05 11:32 PM
Washing Machine Connections ChillDVDs UK diy 7 September 8th 04 10:54 PM
blocks of stuff in drain out of washing machine dave @ stejonda UK diy 7 July 23rd 04 01:09 AM