Posted to alt.home.repair
jIM

Default removing tree stumps

what is best way to remove tree stumps?

in particular, I live in an area with lots of new construction houses
and tall trees. I have most of the trees cut already. I could pay
someonase cash to take a front loader and tear them out (is this
possible?) or use other more common techniques.

suggestions?

stumps are anywahre from 2" to 2' in diameter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Front loader is great, but makes a big hole.

You could use a power washer to wash away dirt around stump, then when
you have made a cavity under it, put some charcoal and soak with
lighter fluid and let it burn for several hours. You will be able to
remove stump with a shovel then and a little prying.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

I guess it's possible with a front loader, but it would be a real mess. Try
either a backhoe or stump grinder. Next time, leave about an 8 or 10 ft.
tree trunk, and you can pull them out with a tractor. Depending on the tree
and type of soil, you can sometimes pull them out with a 4 wheel drive
truck.

"jIM" wrote in message
oups.com...
what is best way to remove tree stumps?

in particular, I live in an area with lots of new construction houses
and tall trees. I have most of the trees cut already. I could pay
someonase cash to take a front loader and tear them out (is this
possible?) or use other more common techniques.

suggestions?

stumps are anywahre from 2" to 2' in diameter.

Posted to alt.home.repair
jIM

Fire... I like this idea. tell me more.

dig under the stump (how far under the stump?)
light stump on fire
then remove what's left

wouldn't the burned wood be weaker and tough to remove as a whole unit?

as an aside, the builder has NOT done the landscaping yet, so if holes
are made by removing trees, they might get filled when the landscaping
and finished grade are done.

stumps/trees are on a hill sloping down if this makes a difference-
hill is probably a 15 degree, maybe 25 degree grade. Easy to get
under, and not worried about holes, as erosion will smooth them out
regardless.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Daniel Dravot

"jIM" wrote in message
oups.com...
what is best way to remove tree stumps?

in particular, I live in an area with lots of new construction houses
and tall trees. I have most of the trees cut already. I could pay
someonase cash to take a front loader and tear them out (is this
possible?) or use other more common techniques.

Why did you cut down big trees? Most people would give their eye teeth to
have a bunch on their property?

Dan'l.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Why did you cut down big trees? Most people would give their eye teeth
have a bunch on their property? "

That's a great question isn;t it? Here in NJ, it's common to see
builers level everything too. And I don't understand it. With all the
environmental issues today, you'd think this would have stopped long
ago. I'm not one of the nuts that thinks every homeowner should have
to get a permit to cut down a tree, but to see builders clear out nice
mature shade trees seems like a waste.

As to how to get rid of stumps, for the OP, the answer is a stump
grinder. Either rent one or pay a tree service to do it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank Boettcher

On 23 Jan 2006 12:36:13 -0800, "jIM"
wrote:

what is best way to remove tree stumps?

in particular, I live in an area with lots of new construction houses
and tall trees. I have most of the trees cut already. I could pay
someonase cash to take a front loader and tear them out (is this
possible?) or use other more common techniques.

suggestions?

stumps are anywahre from 2" to 2' in diameter.

In my area there are several people with trailer mounted stump
grinders that will do it inexpensively. I had two done recently, both
about 12" in diameter, charge was $40. The more you have the less it
is per stump.

What you have to remember is that they only go down about 4" below
grade. The rest of the stump is still there. As it rots you will
have to fill the area periodically to level it out. And you might get
a crop of mushrooms over the rotting stump.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

jIM wrote:
what is best way to remove tree stumps?

in particular, I live in an area with lots of new construction houses
and tall trees. I have most of the trees cut already. I could pay
someonase cash to take a front loader and tear them out (is this
possible?) or use other more common techniques.

suggestions?

stumps are anywahre from 2" to 2' in diameter.

Quick fast inexpensive: Stump Grinder.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art

Actually with a backhole removal plan you should leave about 5 feet of the
tree in the ground to use for leverage.

"jIM" wrote in message
oups.com...
what is best way to remove tree stumps?

in particular, I live in an area with lots of new construction houses
and tall trees. I have most of the trees cut already. I could pay
someonase cash to take a front loader and tear them out (is this
possible?) or use other more common techniques.

suggestions?

stumps are anywahre from 2" to 2' in diameter.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Chuck B.

Here in our county, in Florida, we have to get a permit to cut down
trees. When a builder starts to clear some land for new houses, he has
to notify the county and they tell him which trees can be cut. They mark
the trees that can't be cut. The builder then "clears" the land, pays
the fine and tacs that fee onto the price of the house. The county is
happy with the additional revenue. Very common practice.

wrote:
"Why did you cut down big trees? Most people would give their eye teeth
have a bunch on their property? "

That's a great question isn;t it? Here in NJ, it's common to see
builers level everything too. And I don't understand it. With all the
environmental issues today, you'd think this would have stopped long
ago. I'm not one of the nuts that thinks every homeowner should have
to get a permit to cut down a tree, but to see builders clear out nice
mature shade trees seems like a waste.

As to how to get rid of stumps, for the OP, the answer is a stump
grinder. Either rent one or pay a tree service to do it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

depth of removal depends on the use of the dirt you plan. a shallow
garden may only need a foot depth of no stumps, and a 4 foot foundation
and a basement needs the big excavation equipment to start the digging.

where? climate and local ordinances may limit your chemical stump
removal options.
when? is your timeframe for completion [chemical= slow]
why? for what depth of soil use.

""What Can I Do With This Ugly Tree Stump?" Try This! Don't rent out a
stump grinder; don't hire a tree service! Use StumpOut® to get rid of
ugly tree stumps with a minimum of hard labor! Just drill a few holes
in the stump and pour in StumpOut®. It decomposes the wood in a few
weeks, leaving holes all the way down. Then drop in a match to burn the
pulp. Some chopping may be required on larger stumps. Nonexplosive, dry
granular formula. 1lb. can for one stump.
176185 $5.99
at:
http://www.improvementscatalog.com/p...e=macs=MP6WGGL

more answers at google:
http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...en&q=stump+out

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff

Some trees are messy. I despise oak trees which in the DC area produce
enormous amounts of pollen in the spring and slowly drop their leaves from
Nov through Jan. Nice looking and strong but not in my or my neighbors'
yards. Other times when the builder removes most of the trees the remaining
ones are prone to damage or toppling due to wind. They grew up in a
sheltered forest and suddenly are exposed to the full force of the wind.
Not good to have NW of your house around here.

"Daniel Dravot" king@lost-world wrote in message
. ..
"jIM" wrote in message
oups.com...
what is best way to remove tree stumps?

in particular, I live in an area with lots of new construction houses
and tall trees. I have most of the trees cut already. I could pay
someonase cash to take a front loader and tear them out (is this
possible?) or use other more common techniques.

Why did you cut down big trees? Most people would give their eye teeth to
have a bunch on their property?

Dan'l.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

Most trees give off pollen. Oak trees are beautiful. Just be thankful you
don't have a Catalpa tree, or worse, a female Ginkgo tree.

"Jeff" wrote in message
Some trees are messy. I despise oak trees which in the DC area produce
enormous amounts of pollen in the spring and slowly drop their leaves from
Nov through Jan. Nice looking and strong but not in my or my neighbors'
yards. Other times when the builder removes most of the trees the

remaining
ones are prone to damage or toppling due to wind. They grew up in a
sheltered forest and suddenly are exposed to the full force of the wind.
Not good to have NW of your house around here.

"Daniel Dravot" king@lost-world wrote in message
. ..
"jIM" wrote in message
oups.com...
what is best way to remove tree stumps?

in particular, I live in an area with lots of new construction houses
and tall trees. I have most of the trees cut already. I could pay
someonase cash to take a front loader and tear them out (is this
possible?) or use other more common techniques.

Why did you cut down big trees? Most people would give their eye teeth

have a bunch on their property?

Dan'l.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Sev

Years ago, I knew a social worker/ state employee. His approach was to
sign out a state van for the day, put in low gear with cable on
bumper.. good for the smaller stumps. Just kidding- but the story
is true- wrong person drove by and reported him- don't recall what
the penalty was.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Phisherman

I have over 200 trees, some over 80 feet high. After cutting a tree
down, I cut the stump close to the ground so that I can mow over it.
After a few years it rots out. You can speed up this process by
drilling deep holes into the stump and keep the holes filled with
34-0-0 fertilizer.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Rob

Phisherman wrote:
I have over 200 trees, some over 80 feet high. After cutting a tree
down, I cut the stump close to the ground so that I can mow over it.
After a few years it rots out. You can speed up this process by
drilling deep holes into the stump and keep the holes filled with
34-0-0 fertilizer.

I know that some people have a method of getting rid of stumps where
they have a burn barrel with no bottom. They start a fire in the barrel
and keep it fed for several hours. The stump burns down below the
surrounding surface level and is effectively removed.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 20:18:50 -0500, "Bob" wrote:

Most trees give off pollen. Oak trees are beautiful.

We had a big beautiful oak tree where I grew up. Some garden
service told my mother it wasn't well and we had to dig a trench
around it, a couple feet deep. She didn't want to spend the money,
but she trusted him and she did it.

I was there, a couple years ago, 46 years later, and the tree is
bigger and more beautiful.

In fact the house and yard look as nice as they did when we moved out.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I live on 20 forested acres I am familiar with this task. There are
three stategies I have used. I have not used the chemical like
StumpOut®.

1. Wait a year or two and you should be able to pull the stump out or
push it over with a something as small as a tractor, skidsteer, pickup,
winch, ATV, or even a come-a-long. If it is a small tree, you can push
it over and it will just break off at the ground level. If it is
larger you might have to yank it out with a winch or pickup at the
least. A 24 inch tree is a big one and may require the use of heavier
machinery to pull it out. There will be a crater where the stump used
to be but this creates less disturbance than the other methods.

2. If you are building something in the spot where the stump is
including a driveway or sidewalk or the excavation for these things
then you may need to remove the stump right away. This means digging
them out with heavy machinery and can still be a pretty tough job
depending on the soil conditions and the size and species of tree.

A dozer might be necessary for a 24" tree. A backhoe will also work.
A Bobcat skidsteer or similar tractor can be used but can take longer
than the others. In any case, a lot of soil will be disturbed, more
than you expect. Also, a big crater will be left where the stump used
to be possibly requiring you to bring in fill dirt to bring the soil
back to the original level and may be necessary anyway. The machine
itself can also cause quite a disturbance and the compaction of the
soil everywhere you use it or drive it. If the ground is too soft to
too frozen, it may be impossible or undesirable to use a machine at
all.

3. If it is a yard or garden then a grinder will be your best option.
I am able to rent these from my local rental store and they are
affordable for the job they do. The kind my store has are pretty crude
and require a some muscle to operate. You tow it behind your pickup
and then when you unhook it you have to push it up to the stump. You
then lock one wheel which is used a pivot to swing the spinning carbide
cutters back and forth across the stump in an arc. In order to grind
another arc you have to reposition the grinder by pushing or pulling
the entire machine to a new spot. A large tree will require several of
these repositionings. You might need a helper if you are lacking in
size or strength. This is the type my store has and is the most
common. It gets the job done but is a hassle to use.

There are other cooler stump grinders and you might be able to rent one
if you go to a Bobcat dealer though it will be expensive. I sort of
have my heart set on one of these. It mounts on front of a Bobcat
skidsteer or any other skid steer for that matter and operates
hydraulically. There are two styles.

With one style you have to position it over the stump and then pivot
the entire skidsteer back and forth across the stump. This has the
disadvantage of disturbing the ground more. The other style, which I
like, has an articulated arm that looks similar to a backhoe but has
cutters which can be positioned at any place over the stump minimizing
equipment repositioning and ground disturbance. Any grinder will only
grind to a certain depth below the surface of the soil. Here are some
cool links:

For the cheaper generic skidsteer grinder:
http://www.skidsteersolutions.com/Sk...nders_s/19.htm

For the coolest grinder ever from Bobcat:
http://www.bobcat.com/products/att/stumpgrinder.html

Good luck with a tough job!
Lawrence

Posted to alt.home.repair
puttster

""What Can I Do With This Ugly Tree Stump?" Try This! Don't rent out a
stump grinder; don't hire a tree service! Use StumpOut® to get rid of
ugly tree stumps with a minimum of hard labor! Just drill a few holes
in the stump and pour in StumpOut®. It decomposes the wood in a few
weeks, leaving holes all the way down. Then drop in a match to burn the
pulp. Some chopping may be required on larger stumps. Nonexplosive, dry
granular formula. 1lb. can for one stump.
176185 $5.99

On my 18" low-cut stump I tried chainsawing it but burned out my chainsaw.
I tried an axe and wedges and broke the handle off my axe. I tried the
chemical but no go. I tried sulfuric acid. Then I tried the kerosine&fire
method. That worked some on the edges; one of the problems may have been
that I had drilled some holes in the middle, with no drain, and when it
rained the stump would get waterlogged again. Finally I pushed dirt up
against it and hoped bugs and grubs would take it out. It is now two years
and the stump is still there, looking just as tough as ever.

I know you are asking how to do it, not how not to do it. So in that spirit
let me suggest this: think of all the things you can try and then try one
than I did not.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jay Stootzmann

I've removed 2 stumps in my yard. I hired a person who had a trailer with a
portable grinder. In both cases I wanted to put new trees in so They ground
the old stump up to a depth of around 24 inches. The first one cost me $50
and the second one cost me $40 but I got it done at the same time as my
neighbor did his and so I got a discount on that one. My neighbor has had
it done where they only went a few inches down with the grinder -- didn't
need to call Julie in that Case. YMMV.

"jIM" wrote in message
oups.com...
what is best way to remove tree stumps?

in particular, I live in an area with lots of new construction houses
and tall trees. I have most of the trees cut already. I could pay
someonase cash to take a front loader and tear them out (is this
possible?) or use other more common techniques.

suggestions?

stumps are anywahre from 2" to 2' in diameter.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On 23 Jan 2006 17:35:03 -0800, "Sev" wrote:

Years ago, I knew a social worker/ state employee. His approach was to
sign out a state van for the day, put in low gear with cable on
bumper.. good for the smaller stumps. Just kidding- but the story
is true- wrong person drove by and reported him- don't recall what
the penalty was.

I was in Czechoslovakia in 1974. That was the way they did things
there, all the time. But I don't think anyone reported anyone. The
government looked at it that if it is a communist country, I have as
much right to use the government's equipement as any one else, and I
have a right to build my own home with it as much as do government
work. They'd take materials too.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Tim Killian

Now you know why stump grinders were invented. Those other solutions
might work for small, 6" stumps, but for a large tree you either need a
huge backhoe or a stump grinder.

puttster wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
newsreader

"Jeff" wrote in message
Some trees are messy. I despise oak trees which in the DC area produce
enormous amounts of pollen in the spring and slowly drop their leaves from
Nov through Jan. Nice looking and strong but not in my or my neighbors'
yards. Other times when the builder removes most of the trees the

remaining
ones are prone to damage or toppling due to wind. They grew up in a
sheltered forest and suddenly are exposed to the full force of the wind.
Not good to have NW of your house around here.

The problem trees in the DC area (for me anyway) are the Tulip Poplars. Weak
trees that skyrocket. I had multiple TP's lose major limbs, or the whole
tree, at my last home. The few Oaks I had stood proud even in the biggest
wind storms.

My latest gripe are the Black Walnut trees at my new home. Very pretty wide
spread branching, but messy as hell. I wish they were Oaks or Maples.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

"mm" wrote in message ...
On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 20:18:50 -0500, "Bob" wrote:

Most trees give off pollen. Oak trees are beautiful.

We had a big beautiful oak tree where I grew up. Some garden
service told my mother it wasn't well and we had to dig a trench
around it, a couple feet deep. She didn't want to spend the money,
but she trusted him and she did it.

I was there, a couple years ago, 46 years later, and the tree is
bigger and more beautiful.

What was the point of the trench? I've never heard of this.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

Unless you are talking about a really small tree, which you woudn't do
this for, you just want to dig out enough under the stump (or use a
powerwasher too) so that air can get to the charcoal. no way you are
going to burn the stump out, but you can burn/seriously weaken the
roots holding it all in. Let it burn good for a day and then you
should be able to pull it with a tractor or truck...maybe even pry it
with a large bar.

Posted to alt.home.repair
JK

Years ago, I cleared my building site with a '64 GMC 1 ton. I wrapped a
boomchain around the back axle, easier on the frame that way, but watch
the brake line, eh? I had about 50 feet of wire rope/cable, what
loggers call strawline. With one end tied off to a bigger tree or
stump, I wrapped the cable around the tree ( 14'' diam hemlocks they
were), up as high as possible, about 10' up using the ladder. Then hook
up the truck and slam on the cable till the tree falls over, roots and
all.

JK

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden
mm

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 09:31:01 -0800, "Bob" wrote:

"mm" wrote in message ...
On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 20:18:50 -0500, "Bob" wrote:

Most trees give off pollen. Oak trees are beautiful.

We had a big beautiful oak tree where I grew up. Some garden
service told my mother it wasn't well and we had to dig a trench
around it, a couple feet deep. She didn't want to spend the money,
but she trusted him and she did it.

I was there, a couple years ago, 46 years later, and the tree is
bigger and more beautiful.

What was the point of the trench? I've never heard of this.

I don't really know. I was 9 years old.

I'll admit that I think I've only seen one other in my whole life,
and I'm not sure that one was actually dug. By the time I saw it, it
was at ground level on one side, and may have just been the way the
ground was, without any digging.

I guess my mother wondered if she really had to do what he said, and
I'm so happy it didn't make things worse, that I'm assuming it was
good advice.

Bob

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.
Posted to alt.home.repair
jIM

I have a two story great room in the back of my house. Two story
window looking out the back. And I see a dead tree taller than my
house right out my window. Behind this dead tree is another 50-100
trees which are alive and further away, and down a hill into a creek
bed.

So I decided to move the tree line further away from my house. I took
down about 15 really small trees, about 15 feet tall and maybe 4" in
diameter. A few of the trees were bigger, but some of them were dead.
I now have a backward large enough for me to put in a deck, and still
have 50 trees between me and the soon to be backward neighbor (that lot
has not been sold yet).

In addition I want to plant some shorter trees because the 50 tall ones
are higher than my house, and it's easy to look into my great room from
the back, so I plan to go to other side of creek bed and plan some
evergreens for more privacy. Let's see houw this turns out, a profile
of my backyard. I removed trees on flat portion by back of my house.

back of my house| plant
evergreens here lot ends here
back of my house|
_____________________________.
back of my house| /
back of my house|______ lots of tall trees /
dirt dirt dirt dirt dirt dirt dirt\ on slopes /
dirt dirt dirt dirt dirt dirt dirt\ limbs are higher /
dirt dirt dirt dirt dirt dirt dirt\ than my house/
dirt dirt dirt dirt dirt dirt dirt\ creek bed /
dirt dirt dirt dirt dirt dirt dirt\________/

Posted to alt.home.repair
jIM

almost- I own up other side of creek bed and need shorter trees to
block view into windows on back of house.

back of my house| plant evergreens on
back of my house| opposite slope
back of my house| x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x_____.
back of my house| x x x x x x x x x x x x x /
back of my house|______ lots of tall trees /
dirt dirt dirt dirt dirt dirt dirt\ on slopes /
dirt dirt dirt dirt dirt dirt dirt\ limbs are higher /
dirt dirt dirt dirt dirt dirt dirt\ than my house/
dirt dirt dirt dirt dirt dirt dirt\ creek bed /
dirt dirt dirt dirt dirt dirt dirt\________/

Posted to alt.home.repair

jIM wrote:
what is best way to remove tree stumps?

in particular, I live in an area with lots of new construction houses
and tall trees. I have most of the trees cut already. I could pay
someonase cash to take a front loader and tear them out (is this
possible?) or use other more common techniques.

suggestions?

stumps are anywahre from 2" to 2' in diameter.

Stumpgrinders and heavy equipment are good, of course. I've had some
limited success with stumpkillers and fire, but that takes time.

Another trick to try is to get the biggest, fastest drill bit you're
willing to use, and make swiss cheese out of the stump. Then, whack
this swiss cheese layer to pieces with an axe. Drill up and whack down
another layer. Repeat until you get the stump below ground level. Bury
it, and let it rot.

Posted to alt.home.repair
jIM

the bury it situation is a reasonable one. Any guidelines on how deep?

I need to knock stumps down ( I left 3-5 foot after cutting trees
down), then I could bury when my yard gets graded.

Posted to alt.home.repair

jIM wrote:
the bury it situation is a reasonable one. Any guidelines on how deep?

I need to knock stumps down ( I left 3-5 foot after cutting trees
down), then I could bury when my yard gets graded.

It depends. If you don't plan on doing a lot of digging in the area,
it might only be necessary to leave 5 or 6 inches of dirt for an
aerator or plugger to operate. If you never plan on doing that, just
make sure it's deep enough that you won't be tripping over it if the
dirt settles.

The worms, bugs, fungus, and bacteria aren't too picky about soil depth.

Posted to alt.home.repair
puttster

wrote in message
oups.com...

jIM wrote:
what is best way to remove tree stumps?

in particular, I live in an area with lots of new construction houses
and tall trees. I have most of the trees cut already. I could pay
someonase cash to take a front loader and tear them out (is this
possible?) or use other more common techniques.

Stumpgrinders and heavy equipment are good, of course. I've had some
limited success with stumpkillers and fire, but that takes time.

Another trick to try is to get the biggest, fastest drill bit you're
willing to use, and make swiss cheese out of the stump. Then, whack
this swiss cheese layer to pieces with an axe. Drill up and whack down
another layer. Repeat until you get the stump below ground level. Bury
it, and let it rot.

Hey, I like it! a 12" stump has ~100 sq in, so if you use a 1" bit, figure
1 minute per hole, yer probably done in two hours. I have been going at my
stump for two years!

Posted to alt.home.repair

I shoveled and cleaned a 18 inch stump once then spent time every
evening chaisawing at the thing. by nite 4 it was a goner and I covered
it with dirt.

stump was cut flush with ground, I wanted it to disappear since I was
selling the house

Posted to alt.home.repair

puttster wrote:

Hey, I like it! a 12" stump has ~100 sq in, so if you use a 1" bit, figure
1 minute per hole, yer probably done in two hours. I have been going at my
stump for two years!

1. You don't have to drill everything away, just enough to make it a
breeze to chop to pieces with an axe.

2. If it takes one minute per hole, you're using the wrong bit. Get a
decent auger bit, and, oh, battery-powered drills need not apply for
the job.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

The last stump I removed was done this way. I first dug out a "ramp"
under the main saddle of the root ball. I then slid a 1' x 2' chunk of 3/4"
plywood down the "ramp" and rolled my floor jack down on the plywood
under the root saddle. I then jacked the stump out. Block it up when you
reach the jack's limit, move the jack in the direction of the 'resisting' roots.
Repeat as needed.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
Churchill

My vote is for stump grinding since it is fast and relatively hassle
free. The only caveat is that there may still be roots or stump still
in the ground if the grinder doesn't go deep enough. This can be a
problem later if you want to build on the area or pour concrete there.
Over time the underground stump will rot and the ground will sink.

John Churchill
Builder and Cont. Ed. Instructor at Emory University
Author of www.renovation101.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
bud smith

If stumps are not big, say more than eighteen inches in diameter, then
removal of those trees without a tap root is easy. I have done quite a few.
All you have to do is dig around the stump to uncover the roots and cut or
chop through them. The roots tend to go perpendicular to the tree so you
shouldn't have to dig more than a foot or so to get to them. Once you cut
the root, they are easy to pull out. I just put a chain around the stump
and hook it to the trailer hitch. Trees with a tap root (such as pines are
another deal). You would have to dig down enough to get access to the tap
root and then cut it.

Big trees, call the stump grinder. I had two ground and it was the way to
go.

Posted to alt.home.repair
jIM

why would I chopp off at the root, then pull the stump? if the root
were cut, wouldn't the tree trunk fall down?

Posted to alt.home.repair
jIM

is a floor jack a car jack or something else?

Pros vs cons of tree removal and can I burn the wood? Steve Home Repair 9 September 23rd 05 10:22 PM
Tool for removing a tree stump? Lobster UK diy 30 August 15th 05 10:50 AM
Preserving An Old Tree Stumps Jimbo Home Repair 7 May 2nd 05 06:28 PM
unfortunate Lazarus Long Woodworking 32 April 20th 04 02:44 PM
Tree identification. Al Kyder Woodturning 2 September 17th 03 05:13 PM