Posted to alt.home.repair
Chuck B.

Default removing tree stumps

Here in our county, in Florida, we have to get a permit to cut down
trees. When a builder starts to clear some land for new houses, he has
to notify the county and they tell him which trees can be cut. They mark
the trees that can't be cut. The builder then "clears" the land, pays
the fine and tacs that fee onto the price of the house. The county is
happy with the additional revenue. Very common practice.

wrote:
"Why did you cut down big trees? Most people would give their eye teeth
have a bunch on their property? "

That's a great question isn;t it? Here in NJ, it's common to see
builers level everything too. And I don't understand it. With all the
environmental issues today, you'd think this would have stopped long
ago. I'm not one of the nuts that thinks every homeowner should have
to get a permit to cut down a tree, but to see builders clear out nice
mature shade trees seems like a waste.

As to how to get rid of stumps, for the OP, the answer is a stump
grinder. Either rent one or pay a tree service to do it.