Posted to alt.home.repair

Default romex inside greenfield

Can I have two 14/2 romex cables inside a 1/2" flexible conduit? Is
this allowed? Any heat issues?

Thanks,
Matt

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob, I was able to fit two 6 ft. romex cables inside a 1/2" flexible
conduit with no problems. There is still plenty of space left. I can't
use Romex only because as far as I know, the local code doesn't allow
the use of Romex cable in high rises.

I usually use MC cable, but in this particular case, it was easier
because the conduit was already there.

Thanks..

Posted to alt.home.repair

I would laso use stranded wire. Romex or any soild wire is not
intended to be pulled through conduits.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks everyone.

BTW, Rex Cauldwell's book "Wiring a House" mentions the use of romex in
conduit; i.e. "The wiring inside the conduit can be NM or THHN/THWN..."
He also says "At one time, code limited the number of floors on which a
residence could use NM cable. Code no longer prohibits NM cable in a
residence, regardless of height."

I asked my electrician about this, and he says they are trying to
change the code on romex (probably local code), but haven't done it
yet.

I'll be on the safe side and replace the romex. Thanks again.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Noll

Remember - Code varies city to city, county to county, state to state,
and year to year!

I pulled some Romex in flex once - and was amazed at how incredibly
difficult it was.

....Retired IBEW electrician.

Steve Noll | The Used Equipment Dealer Directory:
| http://www.big-list.com
| Peltier Information Directory:
| http://www.peltier-info.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
Thomas D. Horne, FF EMT

wrote:
On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 22:47:08 GMT,
(Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article .com,
wrote:

Bob, I was able to fit two 6 ft. romex cables inside a 1/2" flexible
conduit with no problems. There is still plenty of space left. I can't
use Romex only because as far as I know, the local code doesn't allow
the use of Romex cable in high rises.

You're misinterpreting the Code. The National Electrical Code doesn't permit
the use of Romex *anywhere* in *any* building that exceeds three floors above
grade. Unless your local enforcement authority has adopted a specific
exception to this prohibition, you're violating the Code to use Romex, whether
it's inside Greenfield or not.

While I see this as a very likely possibility, the law itself is
really stupid when you think about it. If it's inside greenfield or
steel conduit, it's in accordance with the code. Whether you use
single wire or romex, the wire is the same thing. Actually, the romex
has more insulation around the wires, so you'd think it would be
better insulated (although not necessary). It's things like this that
often make me wonder who writes these codes....

Since the concern with Romex is fire propagation and smoke contribution
the presence of the jacket and kraft paper fillers is definitely a real
problem in high rise buildings whether the cable is sleeved or not. The
smoke contributed by ordinary plastic sheathed cables during a fire is
phenomenal and that smoke is particularly toxic as burning plastic
produces large amounts of cyanide and other noxious fumes.

So in answer to your question "who writes these codes" it is guys and
galls like me who have had the pleasure of crawling down smoke choked
hallways on floors well out of reach of the tallest aerial ladder made
searching for other peoples relatives at 0dark30.

No one can fully understand all of the thought that goes into public
safety codes because they cover so much ground and like everything else
in public life are the result of a political process that involves
competing interest and compromise. I do wish that people would not
assume that the purpose of all public safety codes was to rip the off
and line someone elses pocket with their money.
--
Tom Horne, Firefighter/EMT

Well we aren't no thin blue heroes and yet we aren't no blackguards to.
We're just working men and woman most remarkable like you.