mal jackson

Default Double Glazing - can I fit from inside???

Heyyyy, it's daft question time!

Can I fit my double glazing units from the inside of the house??? Or do I
have to fit them from outside.

The current rotten wooden ones are fitted on the layer of bricks on the
inside of the house, so presumebluy I can just remove the inside wooden
sill and fit them that way. Can I?

Thanks for any help. As usual!

Cheers,

Mal.

--
malcolm dot jackson at
nottingham dot ac dot uk
BigWallop

"mal jackson" wrote in message
. 241.164...
Heyyyy, it's daft question time!

Can I fit my double glazing units from the inside of the house??? Or do I
have to fit them from outside.

The current rotten wooden ones are fitted on the layer of bricks on the
inside of the house, so presumebluy I can just remove the inside wooden
sill and fit them that way. Can I?

Thanks for any help. As usual!

Cheers,

Mal.

The windows are more easily fitted from inside the house, as the frame of
the window is normally placed against the inside of the brick work with
sealant between to keep the weather out.

---
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Meoww

mal jackson wrote in message .241.164...
Heyyyy, it's daft question time!

Can I fit my double glazing units from the inside of the house??? Or do I
have to fit them from outside.

The current rotten wooden ones are fitted on the layer of bricks on the
inside of the house, so presumebluy I can just remove the inside wooden
sill and fit them that way. Can I?

Thanks for any help. As usual!

Cheers,

Mal.

Some windows have to be fitted from the inside because they're what's
known as 'in check' or 'clap' (depends where you come from). This
means that they're fitted behind the front face of the brick work and
the hole on the inside skin is slightly larger than that on the
outside. Thus when they're offered up through the inside wall they
can't fall through the outside hole. (is this making sense?) This is
a good way to fit windows because you get an excellent weather seal.

If this isn't the case with you and the openings are the same on both
inside and outside walls (here I'm presuming it's a cavity wall) then
probably either way will do.

How have you measured them, from the inside or outside? If it's the
latter then fit them from the outside as far back from the face of the
wall as possible.

Sorry it's been a long day!!!

Patrick
Richard Faulkner

In article . 164, mal
jackson writes
Heyyyy, it's daft question time!

Can I fit my double glazing units from the inside of the house??? Or do I
have to fit them from outside.

The current rotten wooden ones are fitted on the layer of bricks on the
inside of the house, so presumebluy I can just remove the inside wooden
sill and fit them that way. Can I?

Thanks for any help. As usual!

Cheers,

Mal.

Mine were fitted from the inside, but they needed to get on the ladders
to seal them from the outside.

Dont forget that, if you fit your own, you need Building Regs approval.

--
Richard Faulkner