Posted to alt.home.repair
peter p.

Default god-dang latex paint

I replaced most of the walls and surfaces in my bathroom, except
for the ceiling and one or two other small places.

Along with the new drywall I installed, I primed the ceiling etc.
with latex primer. Unfortunately, those places had oil-based
paint underneath it.

I know now that I should have roughed up the surface of the
oil-based paint before I put the primer down. Long story short,
when I applied the final coat of latex paint over the primer, the
primer softened and the whole shebang started peeling away,
leaving me with my original pink, shiny, oil-based paint surface.

So, it looks like I have to take what's left of the latex primer
down and start again on those areas. I want to make sure to do it
right this time.

My question is: what is right? Will simply sanding the surface of
the oil-based paint be sufficient to get the latex primer to
cling to it? Anything else I can do to help guarantee success?

Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT

Should NEVER paint any kind of paint over a shiny surface, it is only asking
for trouble. If you sand the shine off the oil base paint, not just adding a
few scratches but actually sand it till it is dull, you should have no
problems with latex paint over it if the old oil paint is actually old. If
it is only a few months old, it will still retain some oil compounds and the
water based latex paint won't stick.

"peter p." wrote in message
news

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Baron

"peter p." wrote in message
news

[...]

The first step is to make sure that the existing oil coat is not cracked
or peeling. Assuming that it is not, you should definitely sand it to
provide a "tooth" for the latex. Many people then go over it again with
something like Liquid Sandpaper to both degloss and soften the oil paint.
Most importantly, to me anyway, is to then prime it. The traditional primer
is oil based but there are supposed to be some water based primers that are
made for this purpose. Check out the directions on the can of latex or ask
someone at a paint store. You may not get good information at a big box
store.

Good Luck!

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT

peter p. wrote:

[...]

be dog-gone careful in case it's lead based

Posted to alt.home.repair
NickySantoro

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 13:25:38 -0500, "peter p."
wrote:

[...]

Sand it down well then apply an oil base primer like Cover Stain or a
pigmented shellac primer like BIN. Top coat with your choice of
finishes.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller

In article , "peter p." wrote:

My question is: what is right? Will simply sanding the surface of
the oil-based paint be sufficient to get the latex primer to
cling to it? Anything else I can do to help guarantee success?

Good chance that the oil-based paint contains lead; IOW, sanding it isn't a
good idea.

Since it's in a bathroom, you're better off with an oil-based topcoat anyway.
Your best bet IMO is to clean it thoroughly with TSP and apply an oil-based
finish. If you're still set on using latex, clean with TSP anyway, and apply
an oil-based primer. That will stick to the existing paint, and you can paint
over it with latex.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 17:02:07 -0500, "Baron"
wrote:

"peter p." wrote in message
news

[...]

Go over it with KILZ. Their alcohol based material, NOT their water
based stuff. That's one of the things Kilz is made for.
Beware, that stuff must be well ventilated. The smell is strong and
in a small room you will soon be drunk !!!! Turn off all pilot lights
too. Read the can....
Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn

clipped

My question is: what is right? Will simply sanding the surface of
the oil-based paint be sufficient to get the latex primer to
cling to it? Anything else I can do to help guarantee success?

Thanks

The surface has to be clean, as well. Wash, rinse, dry. Use a little
bleach if there is any mildew. Sand and then remove dust. I got goofy
behavior when I began painting a bathroom ceiling, although I had done
very careful prep. I think the ceiling was moist from the morning
shower. Let it dry and the rest of the job went fine.
Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon

CJT wrote:
peter p. wrote:

[...]

Not a problem if he wet sands with wet or dry
paper, which is the best way to do it and not have
the paper clog.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn

clipped

Go over it with KILZ. Their alcohol based material, NOT their water
based stuff. That's one of the things Kilz is made for.
Beware, that stuff must be well ventilated. The smell is strong and
in a small room you will soon be drunk !!!! Turn off all pilot lights
too. Read the can....

Kilz won't stick any better than the paint if it isn't prepped right.
It's a stain-blocking primer, not glue.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Charles Spitzer

"Norminn" wrote in message
ink.net...
clipped

Go over it with KILZ. Their alcohol based material, NOT their water
based stuff. That's one of the things Kilz is made for.
Beware, that stuff must be well ventilated. The smell is strong and
in a small room you will soon be drunk !!!! Turn off all pilot lights
too. Read the can....

Kilz won't stick any better than the paint if it isn't prepped right. It's
a stain-blocking primer, not glue.

the stain blocking kilz is a tinted shellac, which should stick to most
anything.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn

Charles Spitzer wrote:
"Norminn" wrote in message
ink.net...

clipped

Go over it with KILZ. Their alcohol based material, NOT their water
based stuff. That's one of the things Kilz is made for.
Beware, that stuff must be well ventilated. The smell is strong and
in a small room you will soon be drunk !!!! Turn off all pilot lights
too. Read the can....

Kilz won't stick any better than the paint if it isn't prepped right. It's
a stain-blocking primer, not glue.

the stain blocking kilz is a tinted shellac, which should stick to most
anything.

Read the label )
Posted to alt.home.repair

you should get an oil primer this way u will be able to apply a latex
paint and this will also act as a good barrier for mildew since it is
in the bathroom and moisture is an issue