Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon

Default god-dang latex paint

CJT wrote:
peter p. wrote:

I replaced most of the walls and surfaces in my bathroom, except for
the ceiling and one or two other small places.
Along with the new drywall I installed, I primed the ceiling etc. with
latex primer. Unfortunately, those places had oil-based paint
underneath it.
I know now that I should have roughed up the surface of the oil-based
paint before I put the primer down. Long story short, when I applied
the final coat of latex paint over the primer, the primer softened and
the whole shebang started peeling away, leaving me with my original
pink, shiny, oil-based paint surface.
So, it looks like I have to take what's left of the latex primer down
and start again on those areas. I want to make sure to do it right
this time.
My question is: what is right? Will simply sanding the surface of the
oil-based paint be sufficient to get the latex primer to cling to it?
Anything else I can do to help guarantee success?

Thanks

be dog-gone careful in case it's lead based

Not a problem if he wet sands with wet or dry
paper, which is the best way to do it and not have
the paper clog.