Posted to alt.home.repair
trader-of-some-jacks

Default Recommendation for bathroom caulk?

Not even two years after I last caulked my showers and tubs, I'm faced
with doing it again, more for esthetic reasons than anything else - some
of the caulk has gotten pretty gross looking with mold or mildew,
despite the bathrooms being clean.

So I'm looking for a recommendation of an outstanding caulk for tubs and
showers. I guess my top criteria would be I don't want to be caulking
again in two more years, and I'd like it to be mildew-resistant (or able
to resist whatever the black gunk is that took it over).

Also, please give me some tips on applying the stuff so it looks good
and lasts long.

Pretty basic questions, sorry.
Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

a supply of fresh air, a high speed exhaust fan after you apply bleach
and water to kill the mold .

then apply this:
http://www.gesealants.com/sealants/d...ilicone2.shtml

"If there is mold growth in your home, you should clean up the mold and
fix any water problem, such as leaks in roofs, walls, or plumbing.
Controlling moisture in your home is the most critical factor for
preventing mold growth.

To remove mold growth from hard surfaces use commercial products, soap
and water, or a bleach solution of 1 cup of bleach in 1 gallon of
water. Use a stiff brush on rough surface materials such as concrete.

If you choose to use bleach to remove mold:

Never mix bleach with ammonia. Mixing bleach and ammonia can produce
dangerous, toxic fumes.
Open windows and doors to provide fresh air.
Wear non-porous gloves and protective eye wear.
If the area to be cleaned is more than 10 square feet, consult the U.S.
Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) guide titled Mold Remediation in
Schools and Commercial Buildings . Although focused on schools and
commercial buildings, this document also applies to other building
types. You can get it free by calling the EPA Indoor Air Quality
Information Clearinghouse at (800) 438-4318, or by going to the EPA web
site at http://www.epa.gov/mold/mold_remediation.html .
Always follow the manufacturer's instructions when using bleach or any
other cleaning product.
More information on personal safety while cleaning up after a natural
disaster is available at www.bt.cdc.gov/disasters/workers.asp .
If you plan to be inside the building for a while or you plan to clean
up mold, you should buy an N95 mask at your local home supply store and
wear it while in the building. Make certain that you follow
instructions on the package for fitting the mask tightly to your face.
If you go back into the building for a short time and are not cleaning
up mold, you do not need to wear an N95 mask. "
http://www.bt.cdc.gov/disasters/mold/protect.asp

Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn

trader-of-some-jacks wrote:
Not even two years after I last caulked my showers and tubs, I'm faced
with doing it again, more for esthetic reasons than anything else - some
of the caulk has gotten pretty gross looking with mold or mildew,
despite the bathrooms being clean.

So I'm looking for a recommendation of an outstanding caulk for tubs and
showers. I guess my top criteria would be I don't want to be caulking
again in two more years, and I'd like it to be mildew-resistant (or able
to resist whatever the black gunk is that took it over).

Also, please give me some tips on applying the stuff so it looks good
and lasts long.

Pretty basic questions, sorry.

First time I recaulked a tub enclosure was a disaster. So I asked a
pro. Told me to clean the surface with straight bleach, which I did.
Used the usual white silicone. For laying down a nice even caulk line,
put some painters tape down along the border of what you want to cover
with caulk. Run the caulk by using even pressure and pushing the tip,
not pulling. Use a wet finger to smoothe it down to meet edges of the
tape and pull the tape off right away. Helps to practice. The surface
must be absolutely clean and dry, free of soap scum or mildew will grow
under the caulk (not the fault of the caulk). The more crud - dead
skin, soap scum, etc. - the more mildew will grow. Clean and dry will
keep it away. When you push the caulk down with your finger, you are
shaping a kind of "cove molding" so it doesn't hold water/soap and
mildew. For our last bath re-do, we installed a timer switch on the
exhaust fan so's it can run a while and help dry the bathroom that
doesn't otherwise have much air circ.
Posted to alt.home.repair
bonniejean

then Norminn wrote:
clean the surface with straight bleach, which I did.
Used the usual white silicone.

Ditto... Do not use regular caulk which is vinyl I believe. Buy Silicone.

Bonnie
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

trader-of-some-jacks wrote:
Not even two years after I last caulked my showers and tubs, I'm faced
with doing it again, more for esthetic reasons than anything else -
some of the caulk has gotten pretty gross looking with mold or mildew,
despite the bathrooms being clean.

So I'm looking for a recommendation of an outstanding caulk for tubs
and showers. I guess my top criteria would be I don't want to be
caulking again in two more years, and I'd like it to be
mildew-resistant (or able to resist whatever the black gunk is that
took it over).

Also, please give me some tips on applying the stuff so it looks good
and lasts long.

Pretty basic questions, sorry.

I have three suggestion.

Try to reduce the moisture (increase ventilation)

Clean the old stuff out and make sure everything is really clean and
mold free before continuing.

Buy nothing but the best caulk made for bath and kitchen use. It will
resist mold well and last a lot longer.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank Boettcher

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 02:45:50 GMT, trader-of-some-jacks
wrote:

Not even two years after I last caulked my showers and tubs, I'm faced
with doing it again, more for esthetic reasons than anything else - some
of the caulk has gotten pretty gross looking with mold or mildew,
despite the bathrooms being clean.

So I'm looking for a recommendation of an outstanding caulk for tubs and
showers. I guess my top criteria would be I don't want to be caulking
again in two more years, and I'd like it to be mildew-resistant (or able
to resist whatever the black gunk is that took it over).

Also, please give me some tips on applying the stuff so it looks good
and lasts long.

Pretty basic questions, sorry.

When I remodeled my master bath I initially caulked all seams with the
best siliconized acrilic caulk made for kitchens and baths. What a
mistake. It is not structurally strong (breaks down with repeated
cleanings) nor does it resist mildew (requiring repeated cleanings
with chlorine bleach cleaners). I cleaned it all out last year and
used pure silicone, G. E.'s best. Much much much better!

Only down side is that it is more difficult to work with and it cannot
be painted if that is a need. Usually is not in a bath application.

Frank
Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn

clipped
cleanings) nor does it resist mildew (requiring repeated cleanings
with chlorine bleach cleaners). I cleaned it all out last year and
used pure silicone, G. E.'s best. Much much much better!

Only down side is that it is more difficult to work with and it cannot
be painted if that is a need. Usually is not in a bath application.

Frank

Paintable caulk is pretty much inappropriate for the same places that
paint is. If the seam requires silicone caulk, it likely won't be
paintable. As in painting, prep is as important as the product used.