Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank Boettcher

Default Recommendation for bathroom caulk?

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 02:45:50 GMT, trader-of-some-jacks
wrote:

Not even two years after I last caulked my showers and tubs, I'm faced
with doing it again, more for esthetic reasons than anything else - some
of the caulk has gotten pretty gross looking with mold or mildew,
despite the bathrooms being clean.

So I'm looking for a recommendation of an outstanding caulk for tubs and
showers. I guess my top criteria would be I don't want to be caulking
again in two more years, and I'd like it to be mildew-resistant (or able
to resist whatever the black gunk is that took it over).

Also, please give me some tips on applying the stuff so it looks good
and lasts long.

Pretty basic questions, sorry.

When I remodeled my master bath I initially caulked all seams with the
best siliconized acrilic caulk made for kitchens and baths. What a
mistake. It is not structurally strong (breaks down with repeated
cleanings) nor does it resist mildew (requiring repeated cleanings
with chlorine bleach cleaners). I cleaned it all out last year and
used pure silicone, G. E.'s best. Much much much better!

Only down side is that it is more difficult to work with and it cannot
be painted if that is a need. Usually is not in a bath application.

Frank