Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction,misc.consumers.house
Harry Muscle

Default York vs. Luxaire vs. Keeprite vs. ??? Furnace

I'm in the process of getting a new furnace installed and so far the
three brands that have been recommended to me have been York, Luxaire,
and Keeprite. I've been told that York and Luxaire are virtually the
same thing since Luxaire is made by York, but Luxaire is supposed to
cost less. If anyone could provide me with some feedback about these
brands that would be great ... are they good, bad, expensive to repair,
etc. Or if there's other brands that you'd recommend let me know too.

Btw, I'm located in Ontario, Canada in case that's relevant. Also I'm
most likely going to go with a standard 80% furnance since the repair
costs for higher efficiency furnances don't seem to make them worth it.

Thanks,
Harry

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction,misc.consumers.house
Dr. Hardcrab

"Harry Muscle" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm in the process of getting a new furnace installed and so far the
three brands that have been recommended to me have been York, Luxaire,
and Keeprite. I've been told that York and Luxaire are virtually the
same thing since Luxaire is made by York, but Luxaire is supposed to
cost less. If anyone could provide me with some feedback about these
brands that would be great ... are they good, bad, expensive to repair,
etc. Or if there's other brands that you'd recommend let me know too.

Btw, I'm located in Ontario, Canada in case that's relevant. Also I'm
most likely going to go with a standard 80% furnance since the repair
costs for higher efficiency furnances don't seem to make them worth it.

Thanks,
Harry

http://icpindexing.mqgroup.com/docum...l%20Notice.pdf

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction,misc.consumers.house
Phil Scott

[...]

Most major mfgrs have a clone line. identical to the their
first line but painted differently in order to give them a
broader distrubution base without prostituting the primary
brand name.

York is fair.
Rheem is better.
Carriers second line Bryant OK.

that other brand might be OK...I dont know it... they will all
use the same brands of of components, gas valves, and fan
motors. Rheem might have a japanese fan motor in it...that
will be more reliable.

Phil Scott

Thanks,
Harry

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction,misc.consumers.house
Mr_Bill

FWIW, I put in a 92% Trane 3 yrs ago and have had no
problems. At that time, I tried to research furnace reliability,
but it is tough because it takes a while for problems to surface.

For example, Lennox had a big problem for a while with
cracking heat exchangers. I presume that they have that
fixed. Anyway, 3 years ago, I convinced myself that Carrier
and Trane were the best and roughly equivalent, and that
Lennox, York, Rheem, and Ruud were at least one cut below.

In Ontario, I have to believe that a 92% furnace is worth it,
even if the maintenance is higher. What's your annual
heating bill? 10% of that must be a fair chunk of change.

However you go, get a 2 speed furnace (i.e. with a 2 stage
burner, and variable speed fan). The lower speed is very quiet.

Bill

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Harry Muscle, Furnace novice wrote:
fake.e-mail wrote:

I'm in the process of getting a new furnace installed and so far the
three brands that have been recommended to me have been York, Luxaire,
and Keeprite. I've been told that York and Luxaire are virtually the
same thing since Luxaire is made by York, but Luxaire is supposed to
cost less. If anyone could provide me with some feedback about these
brands that would be great ... are they good, bad, expensive to repair,
etc. Or if there's other brands that you'd recommend let me know too.
Btw, I'm located in Ontario, Canada in case that's relevant. Also I'm
most likely going to go with a standard 80% furnance since the repair
costs for higher efficiency furnances don't seem to make them worth it.
Thanks,
Harry

In the same boat albeit 8 years later. What did you end up getting and is
it still running, and did it require any major service?

Posted to alt.home.repair

--

If you're in the same boat, lean over and ask Harry. We haven't seen
him here in our boat in 8 years.