Posted to alt.home.repair

Default ?Replace rubber "boot" for garbage disposal?

On my current list of honey-do's is to replace the rubber gasket thingy
that obscures the whirling blades of death on the disposal. I suspect
that the brand of the unit is irrelevant other than to find a
replacement boot, but I'd like to know what I'm getting into before I
tear up the kitchen sink. In the spirit of Usenet clarity, I have some
specific questions:

1. Can I replace the boot from above, or do I have to remove the
disposal unit to do so?

2. How does it detach from the sink bowl? Is it part of the flange
between sink and plumbing?

3. Is this going to be a huge pain in my, um, side?

Thanks,

-Phil Crow

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bishoop

"Robert Allison" wrote in message
wrote:
On my current list of honey-do's is to replace the rubber gasket thingy
that obscures the whirling blades of death on the disposal. I suspect
that the brand of the unit is irrelevant other than to find a
replacement boot, but I'd like to know what I'm getting into before I
tear up the kitchen sink. In the spirit of Usenet clarity, I have some
specific questions:

1. Can I replace the boot from above, or do I have to remove the
disposal unit to do so?

You will need to remove the disposal.

2. How does it detach from the sink bowl? Is it part of the flange
between sink and plumbing?

There is usually a large flange with three lugs around the circumference
of the flange. There will be a convenient hole in each lug into which you
can place a screwdriver. Turn the flange about 1/4 turn in a
counterclockwise direction (looking at it from below) and the GB will fall
out (probably crushing your hand in the process, if you are not holding
it).

3. Is this going to be a huge pain in my, um, side?

Thanks,

-Phil Crow

No.

Look at this site for more detailed info:

http://www.insinkerator.com/service/...erreplace.html

--
Robert Allison Rimshot, Inc.
Georgetown, TX

On mine, not sure of the brand, the rubber shield is removable from the top
and replacements are available at Lowes, HD etc. No disassembly required.

Posted to alt.home.repair
DAC

1. Can I replace the boot from above, or do I have to remove the
disposal unit to do so?

below

2. How does it detach from the sink bowl? Is it part of the flange
between sink and plumbing?

no it doe not detach from the sink bowl, and is more of a part of the
disposer. IIRC it's more like a gasket between the disposer and the
mounting flange, held in place when the lower mounting ring is snugged
up.

3. Is this going to be a huge pain in my, um, side?

could be, depending on the plumbing involved...

Good luck to ya!

Darwin