Posted to alt.home.repair
John McGaw

Default ?Replace rubber "boot" for garbage disposal?

wrote:
On my current list of honey-do's is to replace the rubber gasket thingy
that obscures the whirling blades of death on the disposal. I suspect
that the brand of the unit is irrelevant other than to find a
replacement boot, but I'd like to know what I'm getting into before I
tear up the kitchen sink. In the spirit of Usenet clarity, I have some
specific questions:

1. Can I replace the boot from above, or do I have to remove the
disposal unit to do so?

2. How does it detach from the sink bowl? Is it part of the flange
between sink and plumbing?

3. Is this going to be a huge pain in my, um, side?

Thanks,

-Phil Crow

It really depends on the manufacturer and model. The InSinkErator 555S
that I have now requires that the motor be dropped to replace the splash
shield since it is molded as part of the gasket which joins the basket
to the grinder. Replacements for this part are sold at my nearest Borg
for around $5 IIRC. But I've had disposals before where the shield was
held in place by a wire snap ring and was replaceable from the top.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]