Posted to alt.home.repair
geicko

Default ok to move refrigerator in workshop ?

Happy new year everyone !

I'm planning to buy a new refrigerator and would like to move the old
one into the workshop. The workshop is somehow insulated but it can get
quite hot in there in the summer (probably around 77), and pretty cold
in the winter (around 5 I'd say) since we only heat with a wood stove
when we plan to spend a few hours in there.

Will I end up waisting this still good refrigerator placing it in the
workshop ?

Thanks for you thoughts

Posted to alt.home.repair
thehick

"The workshop is somehow insulated but it can get
quite hot in there in the summer (probably around 77),
and pretty cold in the winter (around 5 I'd say) since
we only heat with a wood stove when we plan to
spend a few hours in there. "
I presume you meant 97 and 5 fahrenheit. it'll be great
when it's warm, but you'll need to turn it off when the
temperature drops. 32 is borderline. i start cleaning
mine out around 40 and let it drip dry before it
can freeze.
....thehick.

Posted to alt.home.repair

My best friend has his old fridge under the front porch room. its
unheated.

in pittsburgh temp tops out about 90 in the summer and zero in the
winter. its never caused a problem. basement moderates temp. maybe 25
in winter and 70ish in summer

in cold weather fridge never runs.

although its OLD.... like 25 years so a newer high efficency model
might have issues

he wondered too, but no laughs, since in the winter its electric bill
for fridge is zero/

Posted to alt.home.repair
hiebs

97 degrees is to hot, It probably will still work but if you have no air
circulation in the room such as a fan pulling hot air out and cool air
coming in the room, heat will build up from the fridge. and it will
also draw more juice at such warm temps. and in time take out the
compressor. and as to winter if it only gets down to 32 you wont have a
problem.

--
hiebs
hiebs's Profile: http://www.HomeOutfit.com/member.php?userid=69

Posted to alt.home.repair
Dr. Hardcrab

wrote in message
oups.com...
My best friend has his old fridge under the front porch room. its
unheated.

in pittsburgh temp tops out about 90 in the summer and zero in the
winter. its never caused a problem. basement moderates temp. maybe 25
in winter and 70ish in summer

in cold weather fridge never runs.

although its OLD.... like 25 years so a newer high efficency model
might have issues

he wondered too, but no laughs, since in the winter its electric bill
for fridge is zero/

I have a "beer fridge" in the (unheated) garage and it's been in there for 6
years now and the only problem I have had is keeping it filled....

;-]

Posted to alt.home.repair
thehick

The reason I mentioned turning it off in the winter is that
my fridge melts when the outside temperature gets low.
Here's a little more info from:

http://michaelbluejay.com/electricit...igerators.html

"Can I save energy by putting my refrigerator or freezer
outside in the winter? -- Marty Siller, Oct. 2004

You can put your freezer outside as long as the temperature
is usually above 0 degrees F. You can't put your fridge outside,
though. Well, you can, but your food will spoil.
When the ambient temperature is too low your fridge gets
confused and so it doesn't run the compressor as long as it
should. That means that the temperature inside the fridge winds
up being too warm. A General Electric manual I just checked
said not to run the fridge when the ambient temperature is
below 60 degrees F."

You could just keep an eye on it and be careful that if it
does melt everything, it won't hurt anything.
....thehick

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

My new sears says dont use in a room below 50f, old friges may be better
but oil gets thick. Insulate it with foam insulation sheets, ive never
seen a frige insulated enough it will help in summer alot. I even
recessed my new unit into a foam enclosure, I got the most efficient
sears 19.5 cu ft with coil underneath so foam helps alot.

Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon

geicko wrote:
Happy new year everyone !

I'm planning to buy a new refrigerator and would like to move the old
one into the workshop. The workshop is somehow insulated but it can get
quite hot in there in the summer (probably around 77), and pretty cold
in the winter (around 5 I'd say) since we only heat with a wood stove
when we plan to spend a few hours in there.

Will I end up waisting this still good refrigerator placing it in the
workshop ?

Thanks for you thoughts

Sure its ok. Are you planning on running it? If
so you might want to stop running it when the
temperatures climb and definitely stop when the
temperatures drop below 40. Do you really need
another refrigerator? Check the cost for running
that refrigerator for a year and see how much
extra food you could buy? Running an appliance
just because it will run doesn't make much sense.
I've seen people do this when with just a bit of
reorganization they could get all the stuff in the
unit in the kitchen which would also reduce the
cost of running the one kitchen. Donate the thing
to a charity, or just move it to the workshop and
store stuff in it (not running).
Posted to alt.home.repair
geicko

Thanks everyone for your replies.

That second fridge would probably be used as a beer & beverage fridge
when friends come over. It is not an OLD fridge, probably about 5-8
years old (came with that new house we bought), so what I understand is
that it shouldn't be a problem to leave it in the workshop and only
plug it when needed in the summer (hottest we get here really is around
77) or warm winter days when temp is over 32, right ?

By the way, workshop electricity bills are anoying... last 2 months
cost 1.20$ (great !) but adding fixed network monthly costs and taxes,
it ends up being a 30$ bill.... but that's another story ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

geicko wrote:

That second fridge would probably be used as a beer & beverage fridge
when friends come over. It is not an OLD fridge, probably about 5-8
years old (came with that new house we bought), so what I understand is
that it shouldn't be a problem to leave it in the workshop and only
plug it when needed in the summer (hottest we get here really is around
77) or warm winter days when temp is over 32, right ?

If you don't need ice, you might unplug it from Halloween to Easter and
use a 100 W bulb and socket plugged into a Thermocube in a lower drawer
to avoid freezing beverages.

http://www.countrysupply.com/products/sku-BEW19.html

Nick