Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Default Makita LXT Li-Ion

I bought the new Makita 18V LXT Li-Ion set for myself this Xmas. I've
never owned a Makita tool before and haven't used this set enough to
comment about the durability or quality, but I have a couple comments
on the design.

* Both the impact driver and hammer drill have LED lights, supposedly
to illuminate your work. But all they really do is cast a shadow,
because of where they're located. I'd rather use a real light to see
what I'm doing. If the LED had a switch I'd keep it off permanently.

* The flashlight has 3 or 4 detent stops. These are going to wear out
and then it's just going to flop around and be useless. I'd expect
this kind of design on something from Kmart. The Ryobi light I had has
a rotating head to cover all angles. I shouldn't have given mine to my
brother.

* The bit storage on the hammer drill is cheap. It's going to wear out
and be useless. The metal clips on my Dewalt have lasted a long time.

* The clutch on the hammer drill doesn't have the range I like. The
lowest setting on my Dewalt is low enough to fasten wallplates without
cracking them, not so on this Makita.

I like how quiet the circular saw is, though.

Mike

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
RicodJour

wrote:
I bought the new Makita 18V LXT Li-Ion set for myself this Xmas. I've
never owned a Makita tool before and haven't used this set enough to
comment about the durability or quality, but I have a couple comments
on the design.

Longevity, battery life and durability will have to wait, but it seems
to me you should be able to comment on the quality of construction,
battery charging time, power and weight. So spill!

* Both the impact driver and hammer drill have LED lights, supposedly
to illuminate your work. But all they really do is cast a shadow,
because of where they're located. I'd rather use a real light to see
what I'm doing. If the LED had a switch I'd keep it off permanently.

I'll have to look at that. Seems pretty stupid to put a light where
the tool itself casts a shadow where you're working.

* The flashlight has 3 or 4 detent stops. These are going to wear out
and then it's just going to flop around and be useless. I'd expect
this kind of design on something from Kmart. The Ryobi light I had has
a rotating head to cover all angles. I shouldn't have given mine to my
brother.

I don't see why the detents would necessarily wear out. Maybe so, but
it's a bit of an assumption at that point.

* The bit storage on the hammer drill is cheap. It's going to wear out
and be useless. The metal clips on my Dewalt have lasted a long time.

Bit storage on all cordless tools is silly. There are so many
different bits that you need, that it's an illusionary benefit.

* The clutch on the hammer drill doesn't have the range I like. The
lowest setting on my Dewalt is low enough to fasten wallplates without
cracking them, not so on this Makita.

I use a ratchet screwdriver. If I don't need the power and weight, I
don't carry it.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
CW

This brings up the mental image of someone swatting flies with a baseball
bat.

"RicodJour" wrote in message
ups.com...
The
lowest setting on my Dewalt is low enough to fasten wallplates without
cracking them, not so on this Makita.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
RicodJour

CW wrote:
"RicodJour" wrote in message

The
lowest setting on my Dewalt is low enough to fasten wallplates without
cracking them, not so on this Makita.

This brings up the mental image of someone swatting flies with a baseball
bat.

You must have excellent eye/hand coordination - I keep missing the
little buggers.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
Leon

So return it already. It would be kinda silly to keep it if you hate it so
much already.

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

RicodJour wrote:
Longevity, battery life and durability will have to wait, but it seems
to me you should be able to comment on the quality of construction,
battery charging time, power and weight. So spill!

Quality is good. The more I use the tools the more I'll be able to
judge the quality.

Haven't charged the batteries yet. The partial charge they had when I
bought them was enough to do a little work so far.

Power is good. I really like having an impact driver.

Weight is indeed as they say, "18V power with 12V weight."

Bit storage on all cordless tools is silly. There are so many
different bits that you need, that it's an illusionary benefit.

True, but it's nice to have that double ended phillips/slotted bit
there when you need it.

I use a ratchet screwdriver. If I don't need the power and weight, I
don't carry it.

That's why I like the impact driver. Less than 3.5 pounds!

Mike

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

My first makitas light detents work great after 21 years, so does the
drill, and its on its second chuck. The only issue is battery contacts
dont always work, but with all the dirt in it im not to suprised, so I
bought a second makita to be happier, I wish I had the leds, oh well
cant have it all. Dewalt, I returned one for a Makita.