Salmo

Default Makita router clone *****

A friend of mine and I own the same Makita router. A couple of days ago he
called for me to go to his place to look at something he bought. It was a
KING variable speed 3 1/4 hp router in a nice case that came with 3
collets, spare brushes, a 1/2" straight bit, guide fence, edge guide, and
adjust chute.

We put the Makita next to it and whoever reverse engineered the KING was
GOOD, because they were identical. We plugged them in - started them up one
by one and the only difference in start and stop was the Makita had an
electric brake and jerked on stopping, whereas the KING slowed normally.
The real plus was that the clone had the VS feature. Also, you can
interchange the plates/guides between the two.

Then, the super-plus came when he told me he paid just $119.00 CAN for
it!!!! In fact, the dealer gave him another 10 bucks off. It has a two year
warranty to boot, so even if it gives out within that time it's replaced or
fixed. This is too good a spare to pass up. I went to the dealer next
morning and picked one up, I've tried it and it works fine.....As a spare or
standby how can anyone go wrong at that price and with those features!

Keith

Robatoy

In article ,
"Salmo" wrote:

[...]

'cept the King wobbles on the posts as it is plunged into the work. It
is impossible to plunge a 1/2" bit straight down without it becoming a
9/16 x 5/8 oval. Tried it, didn't work, exchanged it, same story, money
back. I'd pay 50 bucks more if the same router was a fixed base because
the motor runs very smooth and seems plenty powerful.
Too bad, really.
WillR

Robatoy wrote:
In article ,
"Salmo" wrote:

[...]

I am using it as a fixed base router -- in a table. Seems to be fine. I
noticed that the plunge action was a little iffy -- and catchy as well.

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek
Leon

"Salmo" wrote in message
A friend of mine and I own the same Makita router. A couple of days ago he
called for me to go to his place to look at something he bought. It was a
KING variable speed 3 1/4 hp router in a nice case that came with 3
collets, spare brushes, a 1/2" straight bit, guide fence, edge guide, and
adjust chute.

We put the Makita next to it and whoever reverse engineered the KING was
GOOD, because they were identical. We plugged them in - started them up
one by one and the only difference in start and stop was the Makita had an
electric brake and jerked on stopping, whereas the KING slowed normally.
The real plus was that the clone had the VS feature. Also, you can
interchange the plates/guides between the two.

I think if you took the 2 units apart you would see differences that would
probably indicate a longer life expectancy for the Makita.

Salmo

Re taking it apart and comparing...I don't doubt that. Give the reverse
engineer credit though, he/she was pretty good...wish I could duplicate like
that :O)

Keith

Best modern Router table Router? [email protected] Woodworking 21 February 24th 05 06:01 AM
Makita 3612 Router Russ Woodworking 1 November 22nd 04 11:23 PM
An Ultimate Router Table - Part I: A Short Story Unisaw A100 Woodworking 15 August 4th 04 10:43 PM
Plunge or non-plunge router better under table? LRod Woodworking 31 June 28th 04 10:23 PM
Review of the new Porter Cable 895PK- Part 1 Greg G. Woodworking 37 January 8th 04 02:37 AM